AccuWeather Travels to Puerto Rico to Distribute Supplies to Hurricane-Ravaged Town
- November 06, 2017; 9:18 AM
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - November 6, 2017 - AccuWeather, a global leader in weather forecasts and warnings, is sending a team of employees to Puerto Rico November 5-8 to distribute urgently needed items to people in the town of Patillas, who are dealing with the impact of Hurricane Maria. The trip is intended to ensure that desperately needed aid gets directly into the hands of people hit hard by this year's extraordinary hurricane season.
Located in a remote southern part of the island, Patillas was one of the first towns affected when Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico as a Category 4 hurricane. Because Patillas has no port access, it has been largely cut off from relief efforts and shipments of supplies, putting its more than 20,000 residents in a desperate situation with a scarcity of clean water, power, cell service, food staples, and other essentials.
In mid-October, as part of its "Rays of Hope" community service initiative, AccuWeather announced it would fill a shipping container at the company's Global Weather Center in State College, Pennsylvania, with life-saving supplies and staples. Norberto Soto Figueroa, the Mayor of Patillas, provided a list of items needed to help the people of his community begin to rebuild their lives.
"When we saw what the people affected by this storm were going through, our hearts went out to them," said Evan Myers, AccuWeather's Chief Operating Officer and Senior Meteorologist. "As a company that truly understands the impact of severe weather, we wanted to help provide relief where it would make a tangible difference in peoples' lives. But collecting items was just the first step - we want to ensure our donations reach the people who need them, so we are sending our own team to Patillas to make sure that happens."
AccuWeather is also sending a news crew, including extreme meteorologist Reed Timmer, to document and report on conditions on the ground in Puerto Rico.
AccuWeather employees and leadership volunteered their time and resources to gather, sort, and pack supplies into the shipping container. As news of the effort spread, the surrounding Centre County, Pennsylvania community responded by donating items on the list. After being packed full with goods including water, over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, adult and children's clothing, electrical generators, and other requested items, the shipping container was picked up on October 25 by project partners NEMF (New England Motor Freight) and TOTE Shipping to begin its journey to the people of Patillas.
The shipment is expected to reach San Juan on November 7. The container of supplies then will be trucked across the island to Patillas. To ensure that the much-needed supplies reach the victims of the storm, the AccuWeather team is scheduled to arrive in Puerto Rico on November 5, and will be in Patillas when the container arrives on November 6 to assist with the distribution of relief items. All the supplies collected are essential and non-perishable to reduce risk of spoilage as the delivery makes its way from AccuWeather to the stricken town.
The supplies collected for the people of Patillas will help families stay clean and healthy, and help protect them from diseases and other ailments that can occur after the loss of equipment, infrastructure, fresh food, and access to safe water.
Aira Nelson, AccuWeather's Employee Benefits Manager, played a central role in organizing the relief effort and will oversee the company's team on the ground in Puerto Rico. Joining her, in addition to Timmer, will be Jesus Lopez, on-air meteorologist; and Lincoln Riddle, video producer.
"This AccuWeather Rays of Hope project showcases the great character and concern of our employees," said Elizabeth Soroka, Vice President, Human Resources at AccuWeather. "We are very proud of our staff and their compassion and enthusiasm to help the people of Puerto Rico. It is not surprising that such a talented, entrepreneurial group is taking this initiative to contribute time and resources to help those in need. Ultimately, we hope the great work we are doing inspires more volunteerism throughout corporate America."
The AccuWeather news team will spend two days in Patillas distributing aid and reporting on Maria's impact in the area. They also plan to meet with officials and local residents while in Puerto Rico, and will use interviews and footage collected as part of AccuWeather's ongoing coverage of post-hurricane impact.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
Nearly 2 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President, and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. AccuWeather's CEO, Barry Lee Myers, is an award-winning leader in global weather information issues and one of the world's most recognized advocates for cooperative relationships between government weather agencies and the weather industry. He is a leader in the digital weather information space.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Partners with Influent Media to Bring Unmatched Advertising Opportunities to U.K. and Ireland
- January 17, 2018; 9:53 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that it has appointed Influent Media as its digital advertising sales partner in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- AccuWeather Correctly Predicts Costliest Year for Weather Events
- January 12, 2018; 4:57 PM
- To cap off an exceptional year in which its reputation for Superior Accuracy™ was confirmed again and again, AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings, most precisely forecasted the economic toll of weather disasters in 2017 and correctly predicted 2017 would be one of the costliest years for weather events on record.
- AccuWeather Introduces App for the Google Assistant
- January 11, 2018; 1:01 PM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in weather-related big data and analytics, today announced the launch of AccuWeather for the Google Assistant, a new app that makes it easy to access weather forecasts with Superior Accuracy using natural language commands.
- AccuWeather Team Becomes First Commercial Forecasting Group to Receive AMS Award for Exceptional Prediction that Saved Lives, Kept People Out of Harm's Way
- January 10, 2018; 3:10 PM
- AccuWeather today announced that several staff meteorologists will receive the Award for an Exceptional Specific Prediction from the American Society for Meteorology (AMS) at the group's 98th annual meeting, January 7 - 11, 2018, in Austin, Texas. The presentation will mark the first time the Award for an Exceptional Specific Prediction has been given to a commercial weather service.
- Introducing AccuWeather Go on Garmin Automotive Platform
- January 09, 2018; 9:33 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, today announced AccuWeather Go will be demonstrated by Garmin in its new scalable infotainment platform for Automotive Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) at CES 2018 in Las Vegas. This joint effort is the first public demonstration of the revolutionary AccuWeather Go, with patented MinuteCast, and Garmin routing algorithms to deliver minute-by-minute weather conditions for any road trip.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Best in Show and Gold Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- January 04, 2018; 2:27 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts (AIVA) has recognized AccuWeather with 2017 W3 digital awards – a Best in Show award for the AccuWeather iOS app and a Gold award for the AccuWeather Android app. This is the fourth time AccuWeather’s apps have been recognized with W3 awards for providing a superior app experience.
- Dr. Joel N. Myers, AccuWeather Founder, Receives Prestigious American Meteorological Society (AMS) Honor for a Lifetime of "Getting it Right"
- January 04, 2018; 2:16 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, the world's largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, will be recognized by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) at the group's 98th annual meeting, held January 7 to 11, 2018, in Austin, Texas.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus and Other Investments to Cap a Year of Strong Financial Performance, Superior Accuracy
- December 26, 2017; 3:02 PM
- AccuWeather, the world’s fastest-growing provider of forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, today announced it is pleased to be providing special year-end bonuses to all employees. AccuWeather said the bonuses are possible due to the company’s robust financial performance in 2017 and strong confidence in the growing U.S. and global economy now that the Tax Bill has passed.
- AccuWeather's Forecasts of Holiday Sales Exceed National Retail Federation Projections by $4 Billion
- December 06, 2017; 4:03 PM
- AccuWeather, the world'S largest, fastest-growing and most trusted source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in weather-related big data and analytics, today announced a 2017 holiday sales forecast that exceeds National Retail Federation (NRF) estimates by as much as $4 billion. Nearly $2 billion of AccuWeather's projected increase is directly attributable to AccuWeather forecasts of weather conditions that other retail sales forecasts may not be taking into account.
- AccuWeather Helps Brands Get Ahead of the Flu with Application of Virginia Tech's EpiCaster Outbreak Projections
- November 28, 2017; 1:12 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced an agreement with the Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech.