AccuWeather Appoints Jonathan Porter as Vice President of Business Services and General Manager of Enterprise Solutions
- November 06, 2017; 3:18 PM
Porter's extensive experience helping businesses better prepare for and respond to weather conditions will accelerate the growth of AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions and bring quantifiable benefits to even more clients worldwide.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - November 6, 2017 - AccuWeather, the largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, has announced the promotion of Jonathan Porter to Vice President of Business Services and General Manager of Enterprise Solutions. Porter, a member of AccuWeather's executive team, previously served as Vice President of Innovation and Development.
In his new role, Porter will direct all aspects of AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions' continued global expansion across all industries, including retail, transportation, manufacturing, entertainment, financial, energy, emergency management and many others. Through customized and tailored solutions, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions provides the most accurate, actionable weather data, forecasts, and intelligence that save lives, protect property, drive revenue, minimize risk, increase productivity, and more for business clients worldwide.
As the world's leading commercial weather source, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions delivers pinpoint forecasts and warnings for snow and ice, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and other severe weather events with Superior Accuracy(tm) that has been well-documented. Thousands of companies and government agencies worldwide, including more than 245 of Fortune 500 companies, rely on the trusted intelligence AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions provides about the business impacts of weather to help them protect property, increase productivity and drive quantifiable business results.
AccuWeather was overwhelmingly confirmed as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings everywhere in the world. In the most comprehensive study ever undertaken of forecast accuracy, an independent analysis of over 30 million forecasts by industry tracker ForecastWatch concluded that AccuWeather had the highest level of accuracy in all three categories it verified, temperature, precipitation and wind. By providing the most accurate forecasts and warnings, AccuWeather helps save more lives, keeps more people safe, and helps companies plan more effectively in all weather conditions.
"AccuWeather provides insights regarding weather and severe weather impacts that help businesses worldwide make better decisions about weather conditions and threats, so they can improve operations, minimize risk, reduce losses and maximize profits," said Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather. "With Jon's leadership and his expertise in business and as a meteorologist, we will continue to help business leaders by providing information unique to their business or industry that will drive critical and impactful decision-making."
"By focusing on weather impacts-letting people know how, why, and what they need to do to protect themselves and minimize risk-AccuWeather has saved tens of billions of dollars in property damage and saved tens of thousands of lives," said Porter. "I'm looking forward to helping even more organizations globally benefit from AccuWeather's Superior Accuracy, and to delivering the most comprehensive, customized predictive analytics to help clients make the best business decisions and take advantage of competitive opportunities."
Porter joined AccuWeather as a software engineer in 2004, after earning a Meteorology degree with High Distinction in addition to a minor in Information Sciences and Technology from The Pennsylvania State University. Initially, he wrote software to quickly and accurately process weather content through AccuWeather's Enterprise IT Architecture. He then served as a Technical Account Manager, working directly with top global digital media partners to help them integrate data and content with their products. Porter is also a broadcast meteorologist and has discussed the impacts of extreme weather on variety of network broadcasts as well as on AccuWeather.com and the AccuWeather Television Network.
In 2012, Porter was promoted to Director of Innovation and Development, then to Vice President of Innovation and Development in 2015. In that role, Porter combined his expertise in both meteorology and information technology to collaborate with the world's leading government meteorological services and other key data providers to acquire and integrate top-tier weather information, content and technologies into AccuWeather's advanced products and services. These partnerships enable governments to utilize AccuWeather's platforms to deliver publically available weather warnings to residents around the world. Government weather warnings from more than 55 countries have been integrated into AccuWeather products. Under Porter's leadership, AccuWeather has also greatly expanded its forecast capabilities with the introduction of innovative products such as MinuteCast and unique map displays, including real-time weather radar from around the world. In his new role, Porter will continue to strategically direct partnerships with the global weather community.
Porter is an active and well known Professional Member of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). He has served on several AMS committees and working groups over the years and most recently was appointed as the incoming Chair of the Board on Enterprise Communication (BEC) for the AMS. He is also the chair of the AMS Ad-Hoc Radio Frequency Allocation Working Group and since 2012 has been appointed to the AMS Committee on Weather Analysis and Forecasting. He also serves on an alumni committee for Penn State's Department of Meteorology, and frequently delivers presentations on the exchange of weather data and warnings at conferences and professional meetings around the world.
Porter was appointed to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Environmental Information Services Working Group (EISWG) in December 2016.
Porter and his wife, Brynn, live in State College, Pennsylvania.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
Nearly 2 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President, and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. AccuWeather's CEO, Barry Lee Myers, is an award-winning leader in global weather information issues and one of the world's most recognized advocates for cooperative relationships between government weather agencies and the weather industry. He is a leader in the digital weather information space.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Partners with Influent Media to Bring Unmatched Advertising Opportunities to U.K. and Ireland
- January 17, 2018; 9:53 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that it has appointed Influent Media as its digital advertising sales partner in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- AccuWeather Correctly Predicts Costliest Year for Weather Events
- January 12, 2018; 4:57 PM
- To cap off an exceptional year in which its reputation for Superior Accuracy™ was confirmed again and again, AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings, most precisely forecasted the economic toll of weather disasters in 2017 and correctly predicted 2017 would be one of the costliest years for weather events on record.
- AccuWeather Introduces App for the Google Assistant
- January 11, 2018; 1:01 PM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in weather-related big data and analytics, today announced the launch of AccuWeather for the Google Assistant, a new app that makes it easy to access weather forecasts with Superior Accuracy using natural language commands.
- AccuWeather Team Becomes First Commercial Forecasting Group to Receive AMS Award for Exceptional Prediction that Saved Lives, Kept People Out of Harm's Way
- January 10, 2018; 3:10 PM
- AccuWeather today announced that several staff meteorologists will receive the Award for an Exceptional Specific Prediction from the American Society for Meteorology (AMS) at the group's 98th annual meeting, January 7 - 11, 2018, in Austin, Texas. The presentation will mark the first time the Award for an Exceptional Specific Prediction has been given to a commercial weather service.
- Introducing AccuWeather Go on Garmin Automotive Platform
- January 09, 2018; 9:33 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, today announced AccuWeather Go will be demonstrated by Garmin in its new scalable infotainment platform for Automotive Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) at CES 2018 in Las Vegas. This joint effort is the first public demonstration of the revolutionary AccuWeather Go, with patented MinuteCast, and Garmin routing algorithms to deliver minute-by-minute weather conditions for any road trip.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Best in Show and Gold Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- January 04, 2018; 2:27 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts (AIVA) has recognized AccuWeather with 2017 W3 digital awards – a Best in Show award for the AccuWeather iOS app and a Gold award for the AccuWeather Android app. This is the fourth time AccuWeather’s apps have been recognized with W3 awards for providing a superior app experience.
- Dr. Joel N. Myers, AccuWeather Founder, Receives Prestigious American Meteorological Society (AMS) Honor for a Lifetime of "Getting it Right"
- January 04, 2018; 2:16 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, the world's largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, will be recognized by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) at the group's 98th annual meeting, held January 7 to 11, 2018, in Austin, Texas.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus and Other Investments to Cap a Year of Strong Financial Performance, Superior Accuracy
- December 26, 2017; 3:02 PM
- AccuWeather, the world’s fastest-growing provider of forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, today announced it is pleased to be providing special year-end bonuses to all employees. AccuWeather said the bonuses are possible due to the company’s robust financial performance in 2017 and strong confidence in the growing U.S. and global economy now that the Tax Bill has passed.
- AccuWeather's Forecasts of Holiday Sales Exceed National Retail Federation Projections by $4 Billion
- December 06, 2017; 4:03 PM
- AccuWeather, the world'S largest, fastest-growing and most trusted source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in weather-related big data and analytics, today announced a 2017 holiday sales forecast that exceeds National Retail Federation (NRF) estimates by as much as $4 billion. Nearly $2 billion of AccuWeather's projected increase is directly attributable to AccuWeather forecasts of weather conditions that other retail sales forecasts may not be taking into account.
- AccuWeather Helps Brands Get Ahead of the Flu with Application of Virginia Tech's EpiCaster Outbreak Projections
- November 28, 2017; 1:12 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced an agreement with the Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech.