AccuWeather Appoints Jonathan Porter as Vice President of Business Services and General Manager of Enterprise Solutions
- November 06, 2017; 3:18 PM
Porter's extensive experience helping businesses better prepare for and respond to weather conditions will accelerate the growth of AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions and bring quantifiable benefits to even more clients worldwide.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - November 6, 2017 - AccuWeather, the largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, has announced the promotion of Jonathan Porter to Vice President of Business Services and General Manager of Enterprise Solutions. Porter, a member of AccuWeather's executive team, previously served as Vice President of Innovation and Development.
In his new role, Porter will direct all aspects of AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions' continued global expansion across all industries, including retail, transportation, manufacturing, entertainment, financial, energy, emergency management and many others. Through customized and tailored solutions, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions provides the most accurate, actionable weather data, forecasts, and intelligence that save lives, protect property, drive revenue, minimize risk, increase productivity, and more for business clients worldwide.
As the world's leading commercial weather source, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions delivers pinpoint forecasts and warnings for snow and ice, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes and other severe weather events with Superior Accuracy(tm) that has been well-documented. Thousands of companies and government agencies worldwide, including more than 245 of Fortune 500 companies, rely on the trusted intelligence AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions provides about the business impacts of weather to help them protect property, increase productivity and drive quantifiable business results.
AccuWeather was overwhelmingly confirmed as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings everywhere in the world. In the most comprehensive study ever undertaken of forecast accuracy, an independent analysis of over 30 million forecasts by industry tracker ForecastWatch concluded that AccuWeather had the highest level of accuracy in all three categories it verified, temperature, precipitation and wind. By providing the most accurate forecasts and warnings, AccuWeather helps save more lives, keeps more people safe, and helps companies plan more effectively in all weather conditions.
"AccuWeather provides insights regarding weather and severe weather impacts that help businesses worldwide make better decisions about weather conditions and threats, so they can improve operations, minimize risk, reduce losses and maximize profits," said Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather. "With Jon's leadership and his expertise in business and as a meteorologist, we will continue to help business leaders by providing information unique to their business or industry that will drive critical and impactful decision-making."
"By focusing on weather impacts-letting people know how, why, and what they need to do to protect themselves and minimize risk-AccuWeather has saved tens of billions of dollars in property damage and saved tens of thousands of lives," said Porter. "I'm looking forward to helping even more organizations globally benefit from AccuWeather's Superior Accuracy, and to delivering the most comprehensive, customized predictive analytics to help clients make the best business decisions and take advantage of competitive opportunities."
Porter joined AccuWeather as a software engineer in 2004, after earning a Meteorology degree with High Distinction in addition to a minor in Information Sciences and Technology from The Pennsylvania State University. Initially, he wrote software to quickly and accurately process weather content through AccuWeather's Enterprise IT Architecture. He then served as a Technical Account Manager, working directly with top global digital media partners to help them integrate data and content with their products. Porter is also a broadcast meteorologist and has discussed the impacts of extreme weather on variety of network broadcasts as well as on AccuWeather.com and the AccuWeather Television Network.
In 2012, Porter was promoted to Director of Innovation and Development, then to Vice President of Innovation and Development in 2015. In that role, Porter combined his expertise in both meteorology and information technology to collaborate with the world's leading government meteorological services and other key data providers to acquire and integrate top-tier weather information, content and technologies into AccuWeather's advanced products and services. These partnerships enable governments to utilize AccuWeather's platforms to deliver publically available weather warnings to residents around the world. Government weather warnings from more than 55 countries have been integrated into AccuWeather products. Under Porter's leadership, AccuWeather has also greatly expanded its forecast capabilities with the introduction of innovative products such as MinuteCast and unique map displays, including real-time weather radar from around the world. In his new role, Porter will continue to strategically direct partnerships with the global weather community.
Porter is an active and well known Professional Member of the American Meteorological Society (AMS). He has served on several AMS committees and working groups over the years and most recently was appointed as the incoming Chair of the Board on Enterprise Communication (BEC) for the AMS. He is also the chair of the AMS Ad-Hoc Radio Frequency Allocation Working Group and since 2012 has been appointed to the AMS Committee on Weather Analysis and Forecasting. He also serves on an alumni committee for Penn State's Department of Meteorology, and frequently delivers presentations on the exchange of weather data and warnings at conferences and professional meetings around the world.
Porter was appointed to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Environmental Information Services Working Group (EISWG) in December 2016.
Porter and his wife, Brynn, live in State College, Pennsylvania.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
Nearly 2 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President, and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. AccuWeather's CEO, Barry Lee Myers, is an award-winning leader in global weather information issues and one of the world's most recognized advocates for cooperative relationships between government weather agencies and the weather industry. He is a leader in the digital weather information space.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Tornado Season Is Here; AccuWeather Ready Provides Critical Safety Information, Facebook Live Event with Storm Chaser Reed Timmer
- March 27, 2018; 3:00 PM
- The world's largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings wants you "AccuWeather Ready" for severe weather events this spring, including tornadoes. Throughout the spring season, AccuWeather is providing life-saving safety information that can help you prepare for possible tornadoes, flooding and more severe-weather events.
- Forecast Accuracy Keeps People Safe in a Storm, Just Another Day at AccuWeather
- March 24, 2018; 9:12 AM
- The forecasting floor at the global headquarters of world weather leader AccuWeather hummed with coordinated activity as the first day of spring approached. Days, weeks and, yes, even months before a set of four back-to-back March storms pummeled the northeastern U.S. with snow, a team of the most talented expert operational meteorologists in the world warned that a snowier-than-average March loomed. The last days of March 2018 marked the third consecutive winter when the superior accuracy of AccuWeather’s long-range winter forecast, issued as early as September, was once again proved correct.
- Savoy Names AccuWeather Global CMO and GM, AccuWeather Network John Dokes Among 2018 Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America
- March 22, 2018; 12:58 PM
- John Dokes, Global Chief Marketing Officer of AccuWeather and General Manager of the AccuWeather Network, has been selected for Savoy magazine’s annual, prestigious list of the Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America 2018.
- Get "AccuWeather Ready" for Spring Weather Risks with New Resources, Weekly Facebook Live Events
- March 20, 2018; 10:38 AM
- The world's largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings wants you "AccuWeather Ready" for spring weather conditions. Throughout the spring season, AccuWeather is providing life-saving safety information that can help you prepare for possible tornadoes, flooding and more.
- Mike Smith, AccuWeather Senior Vice President and Chief Innovation Executive, Announces March 31 Retirement
- March 19, 2018; 12:23 PM
- AccuWeather, known for its Superior Accuracy and the world’s fastest-growing provider of weather forecasts and warnings, and a global leader in digital media, today announced that Mike Smith, Senior Vice President and Chief Innovation Executive, will retire on March 31.
- AccuWeather Goes Purple; Celebrates Women in Science, Tech Careers with Series of March Events
- March 08, 2018; 2:15 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy(tm) as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, celebrates and honors women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields every day. Throughout the month of March, AccuWeather, an innovator and leader in STEM disciplines, plans a special series of initiatives and activities in solidarity with #DressforSTEM on Pi Day Wednesday, March 14th.
- Personalization and Timely Addition of New Features Make AccuWeather the World's Most Popular Weather App
- February 27, 2018; 6:29 AM
- As mobile technology leaders gather in Barcelona, Spain, for the Mobile World Congress (MWC) from February 26 to March 1, AccuWeather--the world's fastest-growing provider of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data--is highlighting its innovative, user-focused approach to introducing new features to its award-winning mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- AccuWeather Appoints Former Disney Exec as Vice President, Product Experience
- February 15, 2018; 1:15 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy, as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that it has tapped Brian Baker as Vice President, Product Experience, a new role that will lead the user experience and visual design for AccuWeather’s portfolio of consumer and enterprise products.
- AccuWeather Accurately Forecasts Paris Snow: Issued detailed impact predictions for consumers and businesses before the storm
- February 09, 2018; 11:25 AM
- The rare snowstorm which hit northern France and brought significant impacts to Paris, including the shut down of much of the city, was a surprise for many residents and businesses. Consumers and enterprises using AccuWeather however, knew as early as Sunday, February 4th that snow accumulations would cause issues, including packed snow and slippery roads, significant flight delays, and business closures.
- President's Pick to Lead NOAA Barry Lee Myers Named to PA Business Central's "Top 100" List
- February 08, 2018; 4:02 PM
- AccuWeather CEO Barry Lee Myers was included on Pennsylvania Business Central's just released "Top 100" list of business leaders for 2017. The annual list, which can be seen at PABusinessCentral.com, celebrates business leaders in Pennsylvania and their contributions to business and economic development as well as their impact on their own organization and communities.