Dr. Joel N. Myers to be Honored at 41st Annual Penn State Renaissance Fund Dinner
- November 16, 2017; 10:30 AM
AccuWeather Founder and President to Receive Distinguished Recognition for Lifetime and Legacy of Leadership, Philanthropy at Penn State
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - November 16, 2017 - In an acknowledgment of his legacy of leadership and philanthropy at The Pennsylvania State University and in Central Pennsylvania, AccuWeather Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers will be honored at the 41st Annual Renaissance Fund Dinner. The dinner will raise critical scholarship funding for the Dr. Joel N. Myers and Family Renaissance Scholarship Fund, designated for exceptional students with financial challenges who would not otherwise have the opportunity to attend such a preeminent institution of higher learning. The event will be held Wednesday, November 29th at the Penn Stater Hotel and Conference Center in State College.
The annual dinner draws leaders from the university, business and the community. During the evening, Myers will be surrounded by family and friends, most importantly to him, his children, grandchildren and his fiancée Maria Mastrodicasa. Friends, colleagues, family members, and other admirers are expected to highlight Dr. Myers' considerable accomplishments as an entrepreneur and innovator in and as head of AccuWeather, the largest and most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world.
Considered globally to be the world's most recognized and trusted weather brand, Myers founded and established AccuWeather in 1962 while a second-year grad student at Penn State and has driven its growth, innovation and success for 55 years. Today, AccuWeather serves 245 of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses globally as well as 900 radio stations, more than 200 TV stations and over 700 newspapers and digital signage customers worldwide. Through the Superior Accuracy of its forecasts and warnings, which has been well documented, AccuWeather has saved tens of thousands of lives and tens of billions of dollars in property losses.
Myers earned three degrees at Penn State's College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, a BS, Master's and PhD in meteorology and conducted research. His substantial achievements there and the vital role he has played in helping to lay the foundation for the University's success will be underscored at the event. As an educator for 21 years, Myers estimates he had trained approximately 17 percent of the nation's practicing weather forecasters at the time he retired. As trustee for over three decades, having been elected 11 times, he has also helped guide the university as a world-class institution. Today, Myers is Trustee Emeritus.
"Joel Myers' success and reputation as a globally renowned business leader, and his willingness to share the fruits of his labor with his alma mater and community, represent the very best of what it means to be a Penn Stater," said Penn State President Eric J. Barron. "The University is proud to count Joel Myers among our alumni, and we can choose no better way to celebrate our honoree than to support the scholarship that has been created in his name."
As a philanthropist, Myers has made a number of significant contributions to Penn State, including multimillion-dollar gift to the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences for The Joel N. Myers Weather Center, a state-of-the-art teaching facility; gifts for scholarships in meteorology and information sciences and technology and football; and weather-themed sculptures, such as the sundials at the Nittany Lion Inn and The Arboretum at Penn State and the frequently televised Nittany Lion weather vane atop Beaver Stadium.
Said Myers, "I am extremely pleased to have been selected for this prestigious recognition, especially since its purpose it to raise funds for these hard-working, and very bright Penn State students. My personal history is deeply rooted with Penn State as a student, teacher, trustee, and employer of Penn State graduates. I am thrilled that my achievements as an entrepreneur will help to unlock the imaginations, deep learning and creativity of Penn State students. I have always been proud to be a Penn Stater, and I am highly honored to have been selected as the 2017 Renaissance Fund honoree, particularly given the esteemed leaders who have been given this award before me."
Past Renaissance Fund honorees have included Penn State's former Vice President of Development Rod Kirsch; Steve Brown, President and CEO of Mt. Nittany Health; Jonelle and Bryce Jordan; and Sue Paterno, among many other notable recipients.
The Renaissance Fund honors an individual or couple who, through a lifetime of service, has contributed greatly to the Penn State and State College communities. In its selection process, the fund's board of directors seeks to recognize individuals who have deep roots in the Centre Region, close relationships with civic and University leaders, and a commitment to philanthropy. An endowed scholarship fund is created in the name of each honoree and gifts to the fund can be made by any Penn State supporter or member of the public. Renaissance scholarships are directed to high-achieving students with great financial need.
Last year Myers received the University's highest honor, the Distinguished Alumni Award. In addition, he was selected as the 2016 Homecoming Grand Marshall.
The Dr. Joel N. Myers and Family Renaissance Scholarship is already raising funds for eligible students. To learn more about making a gift to the fund or to attend the dinner, visit giveto.psu.edu/renaissance or contact Kathy Kurtz, associate director of annual giving, at email@example.com or 814-863-2052.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
Nearly 2 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hour-by-hour and minute-by-minute forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available through smart phones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites via AccuWeather.com, award-winning AccuWeather apps, connected TVs, wearables, smart homes, and connected cars, as well as radio, television, newspapers, and the AccuWeather Network cable channel. Established in 1962 by Founder, Chairman, and President Dr. Joel N. Myers - a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society who was recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs book - AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as weather news, content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Partners with Influent Media to Bring Unmatched Advertising Opportunities to U.K. and Ireland
- January 17, 2018; 9:53 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that it has appointed Influent Media as its digital advertising sales partner in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- AccuWeather Correctly Predicts Costliest Year for Weather Events
- January 12, 2018; 4:57 PM
- To cap off an exceptional year in which its reputation for Superior Accuracy™ was confirmed again and again, AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings, most precisely forecasted the economic toll of weather disasters in 2017 and correctly predicted 2017 would be one of the costliest years for weather events on record.
- AccuWeather Introduces App for the Google Assistant
- January 11, 2018; 1:01 PM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in weather-related big data and analytics, today announced the launch of AccuWeather for the Google Assistant, a new app that makes it easy to access weather forecasts with Superior Accuracy using natural language commands.
- AccuWeather Team Becomes First Commercial Forecasting Group to Receive AMS Award for Exceptional Prediction that Saved Lives, Kept People Out of Harm's Way
- January 10, 2018; 3:10 PM
- AccuWeather today announced that several staff meteorologists will receive the Award for an Exceptional Specific Prediction from the American Society for Meteorology (AMS) at the group's 98th annual meeting, January 7 - 11, 2018, in Austin, Texas. The presentation will mark the first time the Award for an Exceptional Specific Prediction has been given to a commercial weather service.
- Introducing AccuWeather Go on Garmin Automotive Platform
- January 09, 2018; 9:33 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, today announced AccuWeather Go will be demonstrated by Garmin in its new scalable infotainment platform for Automotive Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) at CES 2018 in Las Vegas. This joint effort is the first public demonstration of the revolutionary AccuWeather Go, with patented MinuteCast, and Garmin routing algorithms to deliver minute-by-minute weather conditions for any road trip.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Best in Show and Gold Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- January 04, 2018; 2:27 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts (AIVA) has recognized AccuWeather with 2017 W3 digital awards – a Best in Show award for the AccuWeather iOS app and a Gold award for the AccuWeather Android app. This is the fourth time AccuWeather’s apps have been recognized with W3 awards for providing a superior app experience.
- Dr. Joel N. Myers, AccuWeather Founder, Receives Prestigious American Meteorological Society (AMS) Honor for a Lifetime of "Getting it Right"
- January 04, 2018; 2:16 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather, the world's largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, will be recognized by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) at the group's 98th annual meeting, held January 7 to 11, 2018, in Austin, Texas.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus and Other Investments to Cap a Year of Strong Financial Performance, Superior Accuracy
- December 26, 2017; 3:02 PM
- AccuWeather, the world’s fastest-growing provider of forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data, today announced it is pleased to be providing special year-end bonuses to all employees. AccuWeather said the bonuses are possible due to the company’s robust financial performance in 2017 and strong confidence in the growing U.S. and global economy now that the Tax Bill has passed.
- AccuWeather's Forecasts of Holiday Sales Exceed National Retail Federation Projections by $4 Billion
- December 06, 2017; 4:03 PM
- AccuWeather, the world'S largest, fastest-growing and most trusted source of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in weather-related big data and analytics, today announced a 2017 holiday sales forecast that exceeds National Retail Federation (NRF) estimates by as much as $4 billion. Nearly $2 billion of AccuWeather's projected increase is directly attributable to AccuWeather forecasts of weather conditions that other retail sales forecasts may not be taking into account.
- AccuWeather Helps Brands Get Ahead of the Flu with Application of Virginia Tech's EpiCaster Outbreak Projections
- November 28, 2017; 1:12 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest growing source of weather forecasts and warnings as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced an agreement with the Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech.