Updated Statement AccuWeather Stands by Original Conclusion on Miscoded NWS Tsunami Warning
- February 06, 2018; 9:29 PM
AccuWeather has further reviewed recent National Weather Service statements related to the miscoded NWS tsunami warning of February 6, and stands by its original conclusion. It seems clear that the NWS codes were the problem.
When AccuWeather users clicked on the NWS tsunami warning on the AccuWeather properties they saw that the message was a "Test." The AccuWeather computer issued the NWS warning because the NWS computer coding indicated it was either real or a test. The NWS coding was conflicted.
The National Weather Service carried the warning itself on a page on its own website and it was not marked as a "Test." Other sources show that The Weather Channel/IBM also sent this out on its devices, and television stations in some areas ran a crawl showing it as a warning. These were all sourced from the National Weather Service and unrelated to AccuWeather. This proves the point that the NWS coding was defective and resulted in numerous sources picking this up as a real warning.
The NWS itself further compounded the issue when it issued a second "corrected" warning that was not in the standard format, but did correct the original coding error. The second corrected, but miss-formatted tsunami warning is believed to be responsible for the additional tsunami warnings published by some other companies after the initial wave of warnings.
The coding of the initial tsunami warning bulletin from the NWS contained incorrect coding and offered conflicting interpretations - one element of the coding showed this was an actual warning, while another showed this might be a test. To suggest that the AccuWeather system should have interpreted the warning as a test would put lives at risk when people might have only minutes to react to a tsunami, if it was a real warning. With such conflicting coding by NWS, the AccuWeather system defaulted to the interpretation to save lives rather than place lives at risk.
AccuWeather has urged on the record, since at least 2014, this problem be corrected by NWS.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Ready Program Advocates Summer Safety with New Preparedness Information and Weekly Facebook Live Events
- May 22, 2018; 2:30 PM
- As temperatures rise and people spend more time outdoors, the world’s largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings wants you to be AccuWeather Ready for summer weather conditions. Throughout the season, AccuWeather, renowned for its well-documented record of Superior Accuracy, is providing life-saving safety information that can help people prepare for summer’s weather risks.
- AccuWeather Recognized Among Top 100 Organizations for 2017
- May 21, 2018; 1:23 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world and a leader in digital media and weather-related big data, was selected by Pennsylvania Business Central magazine as one of the Top 100 Organizations for 2017. Winners were selected by an editorial roundtable based on their success, growth, and positive impact in the business community of Central Pennsylvania.
- Tornado Season Is Here; AccuWeather Ready Provides Critical Safety Information, Facebook Live Event with Storm Chaser Reed Timmer
- March 27, 2018; 3:00 PM
- The world's largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings wants you "AccuWeather Ready" for severe weather events this spring, including tornadoes. Throughout the spring season, AccuWeather is providing life-saving safety information that can help you prepare for possible tornadoes, flooding and more severe-weather events.
- Forecast Accuracy Keeps People Safe in a Storm, Just Another Day at AccuWeather
- March 24, 2018; 9:12 AM
- The forecasting floor at the global headquarters of world weather leader AccuWeather hummed with coordinated activity as the first day of spring approached. Days, weeks and, yes, even months before a set of four back-to-back March storms pummeled the northeastern U.S. with snow, a team of the most talented expert operational meteorologists in the world warned that a snowier-than-average March loomed. The last days of March 2018 marked the third consecutive winter when the superior accuracy of AccuWeather’s long-range winter forecast, issued as early as September, was once again proved correct.
- Savoy Names AccuWeather Global CMO and GM, AccuWeather Network John Dokes Among 2018 Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America
- March 22, 2018; 12:58 PM
- John Dokes, Global Chief Marketing Officer of AccuWeather and General Manager of the AccuWeather Network, has been selected for Savoy magazine’s annual, prestigious list of the Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America 2018.
- Get "AccuWeather Ready" for Spring Weather Risks with New Resources, Weekly Facebook Live Events
- March 20, 2018; 10:38 AM
- The world's largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings wants you "AccuWeather Ready" for spring weather conditions. Throughout the spring season, AccuWeather is providing life-saving safety information that can help you prepare for possible tornadoes, flooding and more.
- Mike Smith, AccuWeather Senior Vice President and Chief Innovation Executive, Announces March 31 Retirement
- March 19, 2018; 12:23 PM
- AccuWeather, known for its Superior Accuracy and the world’s fastest-growing provider of weather forecasts and warnings, and a global leader in digital media, today announced that Mike Smith, Senior Vice President and Chief Innovation Executive, will retire on March 31.
- AccuWeather Goes Purple; Celebrates Women in Science, Tech Careers with Series of March Events
- March 08, 2018; 2:15 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy(tm) as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, celebrates and honors women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields every day. Throughout the month of March, AccuWeather, an innovator and leader in STEM disciplines, plans a special series of initiatives and activities in solidarity with #DressforSTEM on Pi Day Wednesday, March 14th.
- Personalization and Timely Addition of New Features Make AccuWeather the World's Most Popular Weather App
- February 27, 2018; 6:29 AM
- As mobile technology leaders gather in Barcelona, Spain, for the Mobile World Congress (MWC) from February 26 to March 1, AccuWeather--the world's fastest-growing provider of weather forecasts and warnings and a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data--is highlighting its innovative, user-focused approach to introducing new features to its award-winning mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- AccuWeather Appoints Former Disney Exec as Vice President, Product Experience
- February 15, 2018; 1:15 PM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing source of weather forecasts and warnings with Superior Accuracy, as well as a global leader of digital media and weather-related big data, today announced that it has tapped Brian Baker as Vice President, Product Experience, a new role that will lead the user experience and visual design for AccuWeather’s portfolio of consumer and enterprise products.