Statement RE: Today's Miscoded Hurricane Test Warning
- August 10, 2018; 1:48 PM
AccuWeather Global Headquarters - August 10, 2018 - This afternoon at 12:37 p.m. EDT AccuWeather passed on a hurricane warning for the southeastern U.S. that was intended to be an internal government test, but the government's computer coding did not so indicate it was a test and it was inadvertently distributed externally by AccuWeather's computer system when AccuWeather received the warning. The internal test was redistributed not only by AccuWeather on its AccuWeather app and AccuWeather.com website, but by other weather providers that also pass on government warnings.
There is no hurricane warning in effect for the southeastern U.S.
This is not the first time that computer coding issues have triggered warnings that were intended to be only internal government tests. Once it was discovered that the incorrectly coded warning was false, AccuWeather sent messages via social channels that no hurricane warning is in effect for the southeastern part of the US.
The Superior Accuracy and the reliability of our weather forecasts and severe weather warnings are of the utmost importance to AccuWeather and to our users to keep them safe and out of harm's way and to make the best possible decisions when severe weather is concerned.
We are gratified there is no severe weather threat to the southeast at this time, and we are continuing to work with NWS to determine why this coding error occurred and to prevent such severe weather warnings in future.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Eric Danetz, AccuWeather's Global Chief Revenue Officer, Named to IAB Data Center of Excellence Board
- February 08, 2019; 8:52 AM
- Danetz brings extensive experience to the IAB Data Center of Excellence, a trade group that enhances data resources for the digital media, marketing and advertising industries. His membership deepens AccuWeather’s proactive engagement in developing and promoting practices and standards that protect consumers while supporting business innovation and growth.
- World's Most Trusted Weather Brand AccuWeather Receives Tabby Award for Top Weather App
- February 07, 2019; 9:29 AM
- Receiving a Tabby Award places the AccuWeather app among the “best of the best of best” in a massive market of more than 4.7 million apps.
- AccuWeather Promotes John Dokes to Chief Content Officer & President of AccuWeather Network, Announces Strategic Reorganization
- February 06, 2019; 9:15 AM
- Media Content Group and new role of Chief Content Officer established to ensure quality, consistency and reliability of content across expanding news, video properties and growing AccuWeather Network.
- AccuWeather Issues Statement of Apology to National Weather Service Employees
- January 17, 2019; 11:42 PM
- An article was published today on AccuWeather.com to reassure consumers and businesses that, despite some media reports, there has been no degradation to the accuracy of our weather forecasts due to the government shutdown. Additionally, the article indicated that National Weather Service forecasters, despite not being paid, continued to issue life-saving weather warnings to protect people and property across the country, and the necessary data continues to flow through government sources. This intent was not well communicated through the article.
- AccuWeather's New RealImpact(TM) Scale for Hurricanes will Revolutionize Damage Predictions for Greater Public Safety
- January 09, 2019; 7:30 PM
- New scale for hurricanes and tropical storms will provide a more comprehensive description of their impact beyond the simple wind speeds scale that has been used to classify the severity of storms for decades.
- Barry Lee Myers Steps Down from AccuWeather
- January 04, 2019; 9:11 AM
- Chief Executive Officer Barry Lee Myers has stepped down as officer and director of AccuWeather and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, effective January 1, 2019. Myers was nominated in late 2017 by President Trump to become Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In accordance with the ethics pledge from Myers to the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and in his testimony and comments made to the U.S. Senate, he has fulfilled his commitment to fully divest himself from AccuWeather and from any and all related interests.
- AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
- A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.