Statement RE: Today's Miscoded Hurricane Test Warning
- August 10, 2018; 1:48 PM
AccuWeather Global Headquarters - August 10, 2018 - This afternoon at 12:37 p.m. EDT AccuWeather passed on a hurricane warning for the southeastern U.S. that was intended to be an internal government test, but the government's computer coding did not so indicate it was a test and it was inadvertently distributed externally by AccuWeather's computer system when AccuWeather received the warning. The internal test was redistributed not only by AccuWeather on its AccuWeather app and AccuWeather.com website, but by other weather providers that also pass on government warnings.
There is no hurricane warning in effect for the southeastern U.S.
This is not the first time that computer coding issues have triggered warnings that were intended to be only internal government tests. Once it was discovered that the incorrectly coded warning was false, AccuWeather sent messages via social channels that no hurricane warning is in effect for the southeastern part of the US.
The Superior Accuracy and the reliability of our weather forecasts and severe weather warnings are of the utmost importance to AccuWeather and to our users to keep them safe and out of harm's way and to make the best possible decisions when severe weather is concerned.
We are gratified there is no severe weather threat to the southeast at this time, and we are continuing to work with NWS to determine why this coding error occurred and to prevent such severe weather warnings in future.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.
- Get "AccuWeather Ready" for Winter Weather with Critical Safety Information for the Season's Risks
- November 01, 2018; 3:42 PM
- AccuWeather's exclusive cross-platform program provides critical weather information, news, videos, alerts, tools, and more to help users stay informed, prepared and safe in winter conditions.
- AccuWeather Partners with FinTech Sandbox to Foster Innovation in Financial Technology and Services
- October 30, 2018; 8:25 AM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media and business company in the world, today announced a partnership with FinTech Sandbox, a nonprofit organization that promotes innovation in the financial sector. The collaboration will enable entrepreneurial financial technology firms to access AccuWeather’s superior real-time and historical weather data for a wide range of exciting, transformative and unique ventures.
- AccuWeather Teams with Ströer to Bring Unmatched Advertising Opportunities to Germany
- October 24, 2018; 7:00 AM
- AccuWeather and Germany’s digital sales house partner in order to deliver more effective, targeted messages to users for advertisers in Germany.
- AccuWeather Founder and President Dr. Joel Myers Denounces "Inaccurate Information" About Hurricane Florence
- September 19, 2018; 3:15 PM
- "Seeing others comment that Florence will rank among the costliest U.S. hurricanes of all time is flat-out wrong. While it was, in fact, a catastrophic storm for parts of the Carolinas as we predicted it would be, it is important to put Florence's cost and impact into historical context," said Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather. "As an expert on severe weather and its economic, financial and human costs, and adjusting for inflation, I would not put Florence in a list of the top 10 nor even the top 25 costliest hurricanes to ever hit the U.S."
- AccuWeather Ready Program Offers Prep & Recovery Information Online as Hurricane Florence Nears East Coast
- September 11, 2018; 10:00 AM
- Predicted to reach the United States late this week, Hurricane Florence has the potential to join the ranks of the costliest natural disasters in the history of the United States. AccuWeather seeks to help users get ‘AccuWeather Ready' with exclusive weather preparedness information.
- AccuWeather Integrates Foursquare into Latest Update of its Leading Weather App
- August 29, 2018; 9:31 AM
- Users of AccuWeather’s award-winning iOS and Android apps will be able to take advantage of contextually relevant locations and offers based on the weather where they are.
- Statement RE: Today's Miscoded Hurricane Test Warning
- August 10, 2018; 1:48 PM
- This afternoon at 12:37 p.m. EDT AccuWeather passed on a hurricane warning for the southeastern U.S. that was intended to be an internal government test, but the government’s computer coding did not so indicate it was a test and it was inadvertently distributed externally by AccuWeather’s computer system when AccuWeather received the warning. The internal test was redistributed not only by AccuWeather on its AccuWeather app and AccuWeather.com website, but by other weather providers that also pass on government warnings. There is no hurricane warning in effect for the southeastern U.S.