AccuWeather Integrates Foursquare into Latest Update of its Leading Weather App
- August 29, 2018; 9:31 AM
Users of AccuWeather's award-winning iOS and Android apps will be able to take advantage of contextually relevant locations and offers based on the weather where they are.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - August 29, 2018 - AccuWeather-the world's fastest-growing provider and verified as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings and also a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data-today announced another new partnership.
AccuWeather has partnered with Foursquare, the location technology platform, to deliver AccuWeather app users even more personalization and contextually relevant information, available at their fingertips at the right time in the right place to make better choices and even more informed decisions.
Available in the next few days on AccuWeather's award-winning iOS and Android apps, users can receive information about businesses based on the weather around them. To do this, AccuWeather is partnering with Foursquare and leveraging its trusted Pilgrim SDK, which provides contextual awareness of more than 105 million venues worldwide in the Foursquare Places database.
As users go through their daily routines and as the weather changes, they will receive notifications for places in their vicinity that could impact the choices they make for the day ahead. For example, if the weather forecast calls for rain, AccuWeather's app could send a notification recommending that there is a specific retail location around the corner that sells umbrellas. To take advantage of this new feature, AccuWeather users can opt-in to share the anonymized location of the device they are using and receive notifications, just as they do to get the most accurate, localized weather forecasts.
AccuWeather products honor device location settings and only process location data to provide functionality that users want for greater safety, insights and personalization, such as severe weather alerts or location-specific weather forecasts.
"Our chief mission at AccuWeather is to deliver the most accurate weather forecasts and warnings to our users to help them make more informed decisions about their day and ultimately protect the things that matter most to them by giving them the right information at the right time, right where they are, while protecting data privacy," said Steve Smith, AccuWeather's President of Digital Media. "AccuWeather has adopted a privacy by design approach ensuring that new features and functionality are not only developed to improve our users' experience of AccuWeather products but also follow strict guidelines to protect data privacy. With this collaboration, we are making our weather forecasts even more actionable for our users by tying weather and place together."
Smith further added that by embedding Foursquare's location intelligence into AccuWeather's core products, its free app will be able to keep users safer and more prepared than ever before by giving them a physical understanding of what is around them, especially during times of severe weather.
This latest evolution of the AccuWeather app will give users yet another level of convenience by providing best in class, real time weather information coupled with real time suggestions about what to do or where to go next using Foursquare's rich, up to date venue database. The partnership will also help enable advertisers on the AccuWeather platform to deliver contextualized, segment based, location aware ads and sponsored content during heightened times of weather impacting events.
"Knowing that it's about to rain and there is a store nearby where they can quickly pop in and buy an umbrella or knowing an ice cream shop is around the corner when the afternoon is calling for record high temperatures is something we think our users will value, especially when they find themselves in unfamiliar surroundings when traveling for business or pleasure, for example," continued Smith.
"Our partnership with AccuWeather has always been about pairing the best location data with the best weather data. It's a dream combination," says Peter Krasniqi, VP Global Enterprise & Business Development at Foursquare. "Everyone looks at the weather before they leave the house, and now AccuWeather's app will also include Foursquare's Pilgrim SDK to alert users with hyper-local weather alerts. It will also be used to power location-based advertising by using our global database of 105 million places of interest."
As a pioneer in the mobile weather category, this new capability joins the design, usability, and the Superior Accuracy™ in weather forecasting that users rely on from AccuWeather as the No. 1 weather app worldwide. AccuWeather's patented AccuWeather MinuteCast®-the leading minute-by-minute forecast of precipitation over the next two hours, hyper-localized to a user's exact street address or pinpointed to a GPS location-has continued to expand globally to provide this life-saving weather information to more users than ever before. In addition, with the 2018 hurricane season underway, AccuWeather app users are able to access tropical storm map layers.
These maps track storms using AccuWeather's proprietary hurricane models, which have been shown to be more accurate than those used by government weather services. For those suffering seasonal allergies, AccuWeather's extended 7-day Allergy Index provides information on the risk level of environmental allergen triggers conveniently on the home screen of the app.
The award-winning AccuWeather apps for iOS and Android provide the most accurate, actionable weather forecasts and warnings in an innovative, advanced mobile experience personalized to each user worldwide. The app also includes AccUcast™, the only crowdsourced weather feature that provides current weather conditions and hazards submitted by users in a real-time global animation map display, plus AccuWeather Real Feel®, Future Radar, and much more. The AccuWeather app for Android phone and tablet users is free on the Google Play store. The AccuWeather iOS app is free on www.AppStore.com.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers-considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs-AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Foursquare is a technology platform that powers leading business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare's business solutions include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which together empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success. More than 150,000 developers have registered to use Foursquare location data including Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Snapchat, Tinder, Twitter and Uber. A community of more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide and Foursquare Swarm apps and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. They have written more than 95 million tips and checked in over 13 billion times.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Continues Rapid Expansion with Relocation of Global Office in New York City
- July 08, 2019; 8:48 AM
- State-of-the-art facility at 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan reflects AccuWeather’s continued growth in a variety of key functions, including product development and design, marketing, sales and advertising.
- AccuWeather Network® "Great American Road Trip" Content Series to Feature Highlights of the American Landscape
- July 03, 2019; 10:48 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, is celebrating the summer travel season with a special cross-channel content series, “The Great American Road Trip.” Throughout the month of July, the content will be featured on the AccuWeather Network® and found on the popular www.AccuWeather.com website.
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.
- After Year of Explosive Video Growth, AccuWeather Partners with JW Player to Expand Further
- April 19, 2019; 1:49 PM
- Companies team up as AccuWeather seeks to build on recent record of 300% growth in video views across all devices.
- AccuWeather Partners with Local ABC Stations in Support of 2019 National #DressForSTEM Campaign
- March 14, 2019; 9:43 AM
- AccuWeather Network Programming, Meteorologists and Broadcasters to Highlight Importance of Advancement for Women in Science and Technology Careers. AccuWeather Teams Nationwide to Wear Purple to Celebrate Women in STEM
- With More Severe Weather Ahead this Week, AccuWeather Warns Mississippi Valley Residents, Businesses to Plan Now and Avoid Death, Injury, Destruction
- March 08, 2019; 3:38 PM
- When severe weather spins up quickly, a trusted weather partner provides the most accurate weather warnings, helps businesses develop an emergency action plan with the confidence to know when to enact it. Said Jonathan Porter, “It is still early in the season with many more storms anticipated, and it only takes one destructive severe weather event to wreak havoc on a family, a home, a business or a community.”