AccuWeather Integrates Foursquare into Latest Update of its Leading Weather App
- August 29, 2018; 9:31 AM
Users of AccuWeather's award-winning iOS and Android apps will be able to take advantage of contextually relevant locations and offers based on the weather where they are.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - August 29, 2018 - AccuWeather-the world's fastest-growing provider and verified as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings and also a global leader in digital media and weather-related big data-today announced another new partnership.
AccuWeather has partnered with Foursquare, the location technology platform, to deliver AccuWeather app users even more personalization and contextually relevant information, available at their fingertips at the right time in the right place to make better choices and even more informed decisions.
Available in the next few days on AccuWeather's award-winning iOS and Android apps, users can receive information about businesses based on the weather around them. To do this, AccuWeather is partnering with Foursquare and leveraging its trusted Pilgrim SDK, which provides contextual awareness of more than 105 million venues worldwide in the Foursquare Places database.
As users go through their daily routines and as the weather changes, they will receive notifications for places in their vicinity that could impact the choices they make for the day ahead. For example, if the weather forecast calls for rain, AccuWeather's app could send a notification recommending that there is a specific retail location around the corner that sells umbrellas. To take advantage of this new feature, AccuWeather users can opt-in to share the anonymized location of the device they are using and receive notifications, just as they do to get the most accurate, localized weather forecasts.
AccuWeather products honor device location settings and only process location data to provide functionality that users want for greater safety, insights and personalization, such as severe weather alerts or location-specific weather forecasts.
"Our chief mission at AccuWeather is to deliver the most accurate weather forecasts and warnings to our users to help them make more informed decisions about their day and ultimately protect the things that matter most to them by giving them the right information at the right time, right where they are, while protecting data privacy," said Steve Smith, AccuWeather's President of Digital Media. "AccuWeather has adopted a privacy by design approach ensuring that new features and functionality are not only developed to improve our users' experience of AccuWeather products but also follow strict guidelines to protect data privacy. With this collaboration, we are making our weather forecasts even more actionable for our users by tying weather and place together."
Smith further added that by embedding Foursquare's location intelligence into AccuWeather's core products, its free app will be able to keep users safer and more prepared than ever before by giving them a physical understanding of what is around them, especially during times of severe weather.
This latest evolution of the AccuWeather app will give users yet another level of convenience by providing best in class, real time weather information coupled with real time suggestions about what to do or where to go next using Foursquare's rich, up to date venue database. The partnership will also help enable advertisers on the AccuWeather platform to deliver contextualized, segment based, location aware ads and sponsored content during heightened times of weather impacting events.
"Knowing that it's about to rain and there is a store nearby where they can quickly pop in and buy an umbrella or knowing an ice cream shop is around the corner when the afternoon is calling for record high temperatures is something we think our users will value, especially when they find themselves in unfamiliar surroundings when traveling for business or pleasure, for example," continued Smith.
"Our partnership with AccuWeather has always been about pairing the best location data with the best weather data. It's a dream combination," says Peter Krasniqi, VP Global Enterprise & Business Development at Foursquare. "Everyone looks at the weather before they leave the house, and now AccuWeather's app will also include Foursquare's Pilgrim SDK to alert users with hyper-local weather alerts. It will also be used to power location-based advertising by using our global database of 105 million places of interest."
As a pioneer in the mobile weather category, this new capability joins the design, usability, and the Superior Accuracy™ in weather forecasting that users rely on from AccuWeather as the No. 1 weather app worldwide. AccuWeather's patented AccuWeather MinuteCast®-the leading minute-by-minute forecast of precipitation over the next two hours, hyper-localized to a user's exact street address or pinpointed to a GPS location-has continued to expand globally to provide this life-saving weather information to more users than ever before. In addition, with the 2018 hurricane season underway, AccuWeather app users are able to access tropical storm map layers.
These maps track storms using AccuWeather's proprietary hurricane models, which have been shown to be more accurate than those used by government weather services. For those suffering seasonal allergies, AccuWeather's extended 7-day Allergy Index provides information on the risk level of environmental allergen triggers conveniently on the home screen of the app.
The award-winning AccuWeather apps for iOS and Android provide the most accurate, actionable weather forecasts and warnings in an innovative, advanced mobile experience personalized to each user worldwide. The app also includes AccUcast™, the only crowdsourced weather feature that provides current weather conditions and hazards submitted by users in a real-time global animation map display, plus AccuWeather Real Feel®, Future Radar, and much more. The AccuWeather app for Android phone and tablet users is free on the Google Play store. The AccuWeather iOS app is free on www.AppStore.com.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers-considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs-AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Foursquare is a technology platform that powers leading business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Foursquare's business solutions include Pinpoint, Attribution, Pilgrim SDK and Foursquare Analytics, which together empower brands to understand and connect to targeted audiences as well as measure foot traffic and advertising success. More than 150,000 developers have registered to use Foursquare location data including Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Snapchat, Tinder, Twitter and Uber. A community of more than 50 million people use the Foursquare City Guide and Foursquare Swarm apps and websites to discover new places, explore the world and check in. They have written more than 95 million tips and checked in over 13 billion times.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Eric Danetz, AccuWeather's Global Chief Revenue Officer, Named to IAB Data Center of Excellence Board
- February 08, 2019; 8:52 AM
- Danetz brings extensive experience to the IAB Data Center of Excellence, a trade group that enhances data resources for the digital media, marketing and advertising industries. His membership deepens AccuWeather’s proactive engagement in developing and promoting practices and standards that protect consumers while supporting business innovation and growth.
- World's Most Trusted Weather Brand AccuWeather Receives Tabby Award for Top Weather App
- February 07, 2019; 9:29 AM
- Receiving a Tabby Award places the AccuWeather app among the “best of the best of best” in a massive market of more than 4.7 million apps.
- AccuWeather Promotes John Dokes to Chief Content Officer & President of AccuWeather Network, Announces Strategic Reorganization
- February 06, 2019; 9:15 AM
- Media Content Group and new role of Chief Content Officer established to ensure quality, consistency and reliability of content across expanding news, video properties and growing AccuWeather Network.
- AccuWeather Issues Statement of Apology to National Weather Service Employees
- January 17, 2019; 11:42 PM
- An article was published today on AccuWeather.com to reassure consumers and businesses that, despite some media reports, there has been no degradation to the accuracy of our weather forecasts due to the government shutdown. Additionally, the article indicated that National Weather Service forecasters, despite not being paid, continued to issue life-saving weather warnings to protect people and property across the country, and the necessary data continues to flow through government sources. This intent was not well communicated through the article.
- AccuWeather's New RealImpact(TM) Scale for Hurricanes will Revolutionize Damage Predictions for Greater Public Safety
- January 09, 2019; 7:30 PM
- New scale for hurricanes and tropical storms will provide a more comprehensive description of their impact beyond the simple wind speeds scale that has been used to classify the severity of storms for decades.
- Barry Lee Myers Steps Down from AccuWeather
- January 04, 2019; 9:11 AM
- Chief Executive Officer Barry Lee Myers has stepped down as officer and director of AccuWeather and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, effective January 1, 2019. Myers was nominated in late 2017 by President Trump to become Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In accordance with the ethics pledge from Myers to the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and in his testimony and comments made to the U.S. Senate, he has fulfilled his commitment to fully divest himself from AccuWeather and from any and all related interests.
- AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
- A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.