AccuWeather Ready Program Offers Prep & Recovery Information Online as Hurricane Florence Nears East Coast
- September 11, 2018; 10:00 AM
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - September 11, 2018 - With Hurricane Florence intensifying, South Carolina has ordered mandatory evacuations for about 1 million people along the state's entire 187-mile coastline beginning Tuesday. States of emergency have been declared in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia, but the impact of the storm has the potential to reach much further.
AccuWeather-the world's largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings-wants people to be "AccuWeather Ready" for whatever Florence brings.
Downloading the free AccuWeather app will help people to stay up-to-date with Florence's expected track and impacts to the U.S. In addition, the AccuWeather Ready site at http://accuweather.com/ready offers a wealth of information and useful content to help people prepare for the storm, including safety tips and resources, personalized weather preparedness plans, detailed checklists, educational weather news and videos, facts about potential health impacts, and more.
AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said that a Florence landfall along the U.S. East coast is becoming more likely, with the Carolinas at greatest risk on Thursday.
"Residents and interests living along and near the Carolina coast and even up toward the Virginia Capes should closely monitor Florence and be ready to put their hurricane plan in place," Kottlowski said. "If you do not have a hurricane plan in place, do so immediately."
Resources available on the AccuWeather Ready site include:
- An extensive hurricane preparation checklist to help keep people safe and out of harm's way and to protect property.
- A detailed checklist on ways to help people affected by hurricanes.
- An infographic on recovering from a hurricane.
- Information about the psychological impact of disasters such as hurricanes.
- Facts about tropical storms, hurricanes, and their risks.
- A fact sheet on tropical storms and checklists to help you prepare for them.
By providing forecasts and warnings with an unchallenged and verified margin of Superior Accuracy™, AccuWeather helps save more lives, keeps more people safe, and helps people and companies plan more effectively for all types of hazardous weather-including hurricanes, tropical storms, excessive heat and humidity, lightning, heavy rains and wind, lightning, flooding and tornadoes. The AccuWeather Ready initiative was designed to take this commitment even further by providing weather preparedness updates and tools when they matter the most, personalizing the weather so people can improve their lives.
AccuWeather's proven Superior Accuracy is trusted by 245 of the Fortune 500 companies it serves as well as thousands of other businesses and government agencies around the world. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was overwhelmingly reconfirmed by independent industry tracker ForecastWatch as the world's most accurate source of weather forecasts in the categories of precipitation, wind, and high-temperature forecasts.
In the study, AccuWeather's probability of precipitation forecasts, which are key to MinuteCast forecasts, were 21% more accurate than those of the next-ranked provider and 23% more accurate than the average of all other sources in the study. Further proving the reliability and consistency of AccuWeather forecasts, ForecastWatch found AccuWeather was the clear winner in wind speed forecast accuracy, proving to be 33% more accurate than the nearest provider of weather forecasts and 41% more accurate than the average of all other sources examined.
The AccuWeather Ready program demonstrates AccuWeather's continued leadership as a U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador. NOAA named AccuWeather as one of its first Ambassadors in the weather enterprise initiative, launched in 2014 to recognize organizations committed to helping the nation be better prepared for, respond to, and recover from weather-related disasters. AccuWeather and NOAA have been partners for many years. The company has supported NOAA and National Weather Service (NWS) budgets in testimony and presentations before the United States Congress and with the Office of Management and Budget, as well as other federal agencies. AccuWeather has been a longtime cooperation partner with NOAA.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers-considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs-AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Download the AccuWeather app today and follow AccuWeather on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date forecasts and warnings, news and information surrounding breaking and spring weather. Visit www.AccuWeather.com for additional information.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Eric Danetz, AccuWeather's Global Chief Revenue Officer, Named to IAB Data Center of Excellence Board
- February 08, 2019; 8:52 AM
- Danetz brings extensive experience to the IAB Data Center of Excellence, a trade group that enhances data resources for the digital media, marketing and advertising industries. His membership deepens AccuWeather’s proactive engagement in developing and promoting practices and standards that protect consumers while supporting business innovation and growth.
- World's Most Trusted Weather Brand AccuWeather Receives Tabby Award for Top Weather App
- February 07, 2019; 9:29 AM
- Receiving a Tabby Award places the AccuWeather app among the “best of the best of best” in a massive market of more than 4.7 million apps.
- AccuWeather Promotes John Dokes to Chief Content Officer & President of AccuWeather Network, Announces Strategic Reorganization
- February 06, 2019; 9:15 AM
- Media Content Group and new role of Chief Content Officer established to ensure quality, consistency and reliability of content across expanding news, video properties and growing AccuWeather Network.
- AccuWeather Issues Statement of Apology to National Weather Service Employees
- January 17, 2019; 11:42 PM
- An article was published today on AccuWeather.com to reassure consumers and businesses that, despite some media reports, there has been no degradation to the accuracy of our weather forecasts due to the government shutdown. Additionally, the article indicated that National Weather Service forecasters, despite not being paid, continued to issue life-saving weather warnings to protect people and property across the country, and the necessary data continues to flow through government sources. This intent was not well communicated through the article.
- AccuWeather's New RealImpact(TM) Scale for Hurricanes will Revolutionize Damage Predictions for Greater Public Safety
- January 09, 2019; 7:30 PM
- New scale for hurricanes and tropical storms will provide a more comprehensive description of their impact beyond the simple wind speeds scale that has been used to classify the severity of storms for decades.
- Barry Lee Myers Steps Down from AccuWeather
- January 04, 2019; 9:11 AM
- Chief Executive Officer Barry Lee Myers has stepped down as officer and director of AccuWeather and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, effective January 1, 2019. Myers was nominated in late 2017 by President Trump to become Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In accordance with the ethics pledge from Myers to the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and in his testimony and comments made to the U.S. Senate, he has fulfilled his commitment to fully divest himself from AccuWeather and from any and all related interests.
- AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
- A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.