AccuWeather Ready Program Offers Prep & Recovery Information Online as Hurricane Florence Nears East Coast
- September 11, 2018; 10:00 AM
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - September 11, 2018 - With Hurricane Florence intensifying, South Carolina has ordered mandatory evacuations for about 1 million people along the state's entire 187-mile coastline beginning Tuesday. States of emergency have been declared in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia, but the impact of the storm has the potential to reach much further.
AccuWeather-the world's largest, fastest-growing and most trusted provider of weather forecasts and warnings-wants people to be "AccuWeather Ready" for whatever Florence brings.
Downloading the free AccuWeather app will help people to stay up-to-date with Florence's expected track and impacts to the U.S. In addition, the AccuWeather Ready site at http://accuweather.com/ready offers a wealth of information and useful content to help people prepare for the storm, including safety tips and resources, personalized weather preparedness plans, detailed checklists, educational weather news and videos, facts about potential health impacts, and more.
AccuWeather Hurricane Expert Dan Kottlowski said that a Florence landfall along the U.S. East coast is becoming more likely, with the Carolinas at greatest risk on Thursday.
"Residents and interests living along and near the Carolina coast and even up toward the Virginia Capes should closely monitor Florence and be ready to put their hurricane plan in place," Kottlowski said. "If you do not have a hurricane plan in place, do so immediately."
Resources available on the AccuWeather Ready site include:
- An extensive hurricane preparation checklist to help keep people safe and out of harm's way and to protect property.
- A detailed checklist on ways to help people affected by hurricanes.
- An infographic on recovering from a hurricane.
- Information about the psychological impact of disasters such as hurricanes.
- Facts about tropical storms, hurricanes, and their risks.
- A fact sheet on tropical storms and checklists to help you prepare for them.
By providing forecasts and warnings with an unchallenged and verified margin of Superior Accuracy™, AccuWeather helps save more lives, keeps more people safe, and helps people and companies plan more effectively for all types of hazardous weather-including hurricanes, tropical storms, excessive heat and humidity, lightning, heavy rains and wind, lightning, flooding and tornadoes. The AccuWeather Ready initiative was designed to take this commitment even further by providing weather preparedness updates and tools when they matter the most, personalizing the weather so people can improve their lives.
AccuWeather's proven Superior Accuracy is trusted by 245 of the Fortune 500 companies it serves as well as thousands of other businesses and government agencies around the world. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was overwhelmingly reconfirmed by independent industry tracker ForecastWatch as the world's most accurate source of weather forecasts in the categories of precipitation, wind, and high-temperature forecasts.
In the study, AccuWeather's probability of precipitation forecasts, which are key to MinuteCast forecasts, were 21% more accurate than those of the next-ranked provider and 23% more accurate than the average of all other sources in the study. Further proving the reliability and consistency of AccuWeather forecasts, ForecastWatch found AccuWeather was the clear winner in wind speed forecast accuracy, proving to be 33% more accurate than the nearest provider of weather forecasts and 41% more accurate than the average of all other sources examined.
The AccuWeather Ready program demonstrates AccuWeather's continued leadership as a U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador. NOAA named AccuWeather as one of its first Ambassadors in the weather enterprise initiative, launched in 2014 to recognize organizations committed to helping the nation be better prepared for, respond to, and recover from weather-related disasters. AccuWeather and NOAA have been partners for many years. The company has supported NOAA and National Weather Service (NWS) budgets in testimony and presentations before the United States Congress and with the Office of Management and Budget, as well as other federal agencies. AccuWeather has been a longtime cooperation partner with NOAA.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers-considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs-AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Download the AccuWeather app today and follow AccuWeather on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date forecasts and warnings, news and information surrounding breaking and spring weather. Visit www.AccuWeather.com for additional information.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Continues Rapid Expansion with Relocation of Global Office in New York City
- July 08, 2019; 8:48 AM
- State-of-the-art facility at 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan reflects AccuWeather’s continued growth in a variety of key functions, including product development and design, marketing, sales and advertising.
- AccuWeather Network® "Great American Road Trip" Content Series to Feature Highlights of the American Landscape
- July 03, 2019; 10:48 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, is celebrating the summer travel season with a special cross-channel content series, “The Great American Road Trip.” Throughout the month of July, the content will be featured on the AccuWeather Network® and found on the popular www.AccuWeather.com website.
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.
- After Year of Explosive Video Growth, AccuWeather Partners with JW Player to Expand Further
- April 19, 2019; 1:49 PM
- Companies team up as AccuWeather seeks to build on recent record of 300% growth in video views across all devices.
- AccuWeather Partners with Local ABC Stations in Support of 2019 National #DressForSTEM Campaign
- March 14, 2019; 9:43 AM
- AccuWeather Network Programming, Meteorologists and Broadcasters to Highlight Importance of Advancement for Women in Science and Technology Careers. AccuWeather Teams Nationwide to Wear Purple to Celebrate Women in STEM
- With More Severe Weather Ahead this Week, AccuWeather Warns Mississippi Valley Residents, Businesses to Plan Now and Avoid Death, Injury, Destruction
- March 08, 2019; 3:38 PM
- When severe weather spins up quickly, a trusted weather partner provides the most accurate weather warnings, helps businesses develop an emergency action plan with the confidence to know when to enact it. Said Jonathan Porter, “It is still early in the season with many more storms anticipated, and it only takes one destructive severe weather event to wreak havoc on a family, a home, a business or a community.”