AccuWeather Partners with FinTech Sandbox to Foster Innovation in Financial Technology and Services
- October 30, 2018; 8:25 AM
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - October 30, 2018 - AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media and business company in the world, today announced a partnership with FinTech Sandbox, a nonprofit organization that promotes innovation in the financial sector.
The collaboration will enable entrepreneurial financial technology firms selected by FinTech Sandbox and AccuWeather to access AccuWeather's superior real-time and historical weather data for a wide range of exciting, transformative and unique ventures. FinTech Sandbox promotes innovation in the financial sector by making data and infrastructure available to well-qualified FinTech startups at the point when access is most impactful. Sandbox startups, in return, collaborate with other current and past participants, sharing learnings and advancements that benefit the greater FinTech ecosystem. Participating startups pay no fees and no equity is taken.
Weather has far-reaching impacts on every aspect of industry and financial services. AccuWeather's weather data, with Superior Accuracy™, has been verified by independent industry tracker ForecastWatch® to be the most accurate globally in a study of 95 million forecasts in over 1,140 locations worldwide. The application of AccuWeather's data offers significant advantages and insights in many areas of finance including, insurance, utilities, project finance, derivatives trading, economic forecasting, and asset management.
Weather data can be leveraged to create alpha, improve credit underwriting, or reduce insurance losses in addition to other possibilities to benefit financial service companies. AccuWeather offers access to comprehensive, quality-controlled current and historical weather data by special arrangement, and also can tailor custom data services to meet an organization's exact requirements.
The data AccuWeather is making available to Sandbox startups includes:
- Current conditions
- Daily and hourly forecasts
- Daily lifestyle index forecasts
- Weather alarms (daily)
- Tidal forecasts (daily)
- MinuteCast® (minute-by-minute precipitation forecasts)
- Historical conditions
"We are pleased to partner with AccuWeather to offer access to this superior data to benefit FinTech Sandbox startups, said Jean Donnelly, Executive Director of FinTech Sandbox. "Innovators in financial services are racing for sources of alternative, reliable data. When it comes to weather data, AccuWeather is the gold standard over and above all other sources."
Said Todd Olson, AccuWeather's manager for financial services, "AccuWeather's commitment to innovation is renowned, having blazed a trail in the commercial weather industry and transformed itself many times over to adapt to a rapidly changing digital social channel and media landscape.
"As a champion of transformation, this partnership with FinTech Sandbox is an exciting new chapter in our 56-year history dedicated to innovation, a passion for unearthing new technologies, and a commitment to strengthening the financial sector. We're looking forward to seeing what FinTech Sandbox residents build with this data to improve lives and help people prosper."
Over 150 startups from around the world have participated in FinTech Sandbox since it launched in 2015. Alumni include Kensho (acquired by S&P Global), Sigma Ratings, TellusLabs, and Petal. Companies accepted to the program have raised, in aggregate, more than $400 million.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers - considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs -AccuWeather delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
The AccuWeather app for Android phone and tablet users is free at the Google Play store. The AccuWeather iOS app is free at www.AppStore.com.
About FinTech Sandbox
FinTech Sandbox is a Boston-based nonprofit that promotes financial technology innovation globally by providing free access to critical data and resources to FinTech entrepreneurs and startups. Sponsors include Amazon Web Services, Fidelity Investments, F-Prime Capital, Franklin Templeton, Intel, State Street, Thomson Reuters, and Goodwin Procter.
For more information, please visit www.FinTechSandbox.org and www.twitter.com/FinTechSandbox.
Tatiana Urban, Head of Marketing
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.
- Get "AccuWeather Ready" for Winter Weather with Critical Safety Information for the Season's Risks
- November 01, 2018; 3:42 PM
- AccuWeather's exclusive cross-platform program provides critical weather information, news, videos, alerts, tools, and more to help users stay informed, prepared and safe in winter conditions.
- AccuWeather Partners with FinTech Sandbox to Foster Innovation in Financial Technology and Services
- October 30, 2018; 8:25 AM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media and business company in the world, today announced a partnership with FinTech Sandbox, a nonprofit organization that promotes innovation in the financial sector. The collaboration will enable entrepreneurial financial technology firms to access AccuWeather’s superior real-time and historical weather data for a wide range of exciting, transformative and unique ventures.
- AccuWeather Teams with Ströer to Bring Unmatched Advertising Opportunities to Germany
- October 24, 2018; 7:00 AM
- AccuWeather and Germany’s digital sales house partner in order to deliver more effective, targeted messages to users for advertisers in Germany.
- AccuWeather Founder and President Dr. Joel Myers Denounces "Inaccurate Information" About Hurricane Florence
- September 19, 2018; 3:15 PM
- "Seeing others comment that Florence will rank among the costliest U.S. hurricanes of all time is flat-out wrong. While it was, in fact, a catastrophic storm for parts of the Carolinas as we predicted it would be, it is important to put Florence's cost and impact into historical context," said Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather. "As an expert on severe weather and its economic, financial and human costs, and adjusting for inflation, I would not put Florence in a list of the top 10 nor even the top 25 costliest hurricanes to ever hit the U.S."
- AccuWeather Ready Program Offers Prep & Recovery Information Online as Hurricane Florence Nears East Coast
- September 11, 2018; 10:00 AM
- Predicted to reach the United States late this week, Hurricane Florence has the potential to join the ranks of the costliest natural disasters in the history of the United States. AccuWeather seeks to help users get ‘AccuWeather Ready' with exclusive weather preparedness information.
- AccuWeather Integrates Foursquare into Latest Update of its Leading Weather App
- August 29, 2018; 9:31 AM
- Users of AccuWeather’s award-winning iOS and Android apps will be able to take advantage of contextually relevant locations and offers based on the weather where they are.
- Statement RE: Today's Miscoded Hurricane Test Warning
- August 10, 2018; 1:48 PM
- This afternoon at 12:37 p.m. EDT AccuWeather passed on a hurricane warning for the southeastern U.S. that was intended to be an internal government test, but the government’s computer coding did not so indicate it was a test and it was inadvertently distributed externally by AccuWeather’s computer system when AccuWeather received the warning. The internal test was redistributed not only by AccuWeather on its AccuWeather app and AccuWeather.com website, but by other weather providers that also pass on government warnings. There is no hurricane warning in effect for the southeastern U.S.