AccuWeather Partners with FinTech Sandbox to Foster Innovation in Financial Technology and Services
- October 30, 2018; 8:25 AM
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - October 30, 2018 - AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media and business company in the world, today announced a partnership with FinTech Sandbox, a nonprofit organization that promotes innovation in the financial sector.
The collaboration will enable entrepreneurial financial technology firms selected by FinTech Sandbox and AccuWeather to access AccuWeather's superior real-time and historical weather data for a wide range of exciting, transformative and unique ventures. FinTech Sandbox promotes innovation in the financial sector by making data and infrastructure available to well-qualified FinTech startups at the point when access is most impactful. Sandbox startups, in return, collaborate with other current and past participants, sharing learnings and advancements that benefit the greater FinTech ecosystem. Participating startups pay no fees and no equity is taken.
Weather has far-reaching impacts on every aspect of industry and financial services. AccuWeather's weather data, with Superior Accuracy™, has been verified by independent industry tracker ForecastWatch® to be the most accurate globally in a study of 95 million forecasts in over 1,140 locations worldwide. The application of AccuWeather's data offers significant advantages and insights in many areas of finance including, insurance, utilities, project finance, derivatives trading, economic forecasting, and asset management.
Weather data can be leveraged to create alpha, improve credit underwriting, or reduce insurance losses in addition to other possibilities to benefit financial service companies. AccuWeather offers access to comprehensive, quality-controlled current and historical weather data by special arrangement, and also can tailor custom data services to meet an organization's exact requirements.
The data AccuWeather is making available to Sandbox startups includes:
- Current conditions
- Daily and hourly forecasts
- Daily lifestyle index forecasts
- Weather alarms (daily)
- Tidal forecasts (daily)
- MinuteCast® (minute-by-minute precipitation forecasts)
- Historical conditions
"We are pleased to partner with AccuWeather to offer access to this superior data to benefit FinTech Sandbox startups, said Jean Donnelly, Executive Director of FinTech Sandbox. "Innovators in financial services are racing for sources of alternative, reliable data. When it comes to weather data, AccuWeather is the gold standard over and above all other sources."
Said Todd Olson, AccuWeather's manager for financial services, "AccuWeather's commitment to innovation is renowned, having blazed a trail in the commercial weather industry and transformed itself many times over to adapt to a rapidly changing digital social channel and media landscape.
"As a champion of transformation, this partnership with FinTech Sandbox is an exciting new chapter in our 56-year history dedicated to innovation, a passion for unearthing new technologies, and a commitment to strengthening the financial sector. We're looking forward to seeing what FinTech Sandbox residents build with this data to improve lives and help people prosper."
Over 150 startups from around the world have participated in FinTech Sandbox since it launched in 2015. Alumni include Kensho (acquired by S&P Global), Sigma Ratings, TellusLabs, and Petal. Companies accepted to the program have raised, in aggregate, more than $400 million.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers - considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs -AccuWeather delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
The AccuWeather app for Android phone and tablet users is free at the Google Play store. The AccuWeather iOS app is free at www.AppStore.com.
About FinTech Sandbox
FinTech Sandbox is a Boston-based nonprofit that promotes financial technology innovation globally by providing free access to critical data and resources to FinTech entrepreneurs and startups. Sponsors include Amazon Web Services, Fidelity Investments, F-Prime Capital, Franklin Templeton, Intel, State Street, Thomson Reuters, and Goodwin Procter.
For more information, please visit www.FinTechSandbox.org and www.twitter.com/FinTechSandbox.
Tatiana Urban, Head of Marketing
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Continues Rapid Expansion with Relocation of Global Office in New York City
- July 08, 2019; 8:48 AM
- State-of-the-art facility at 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan reflects AccuWeather’s continued growth in a variety of key functions, including product development and design, marketing, sales and advertising.
- AccuWeather Network® "Great American Road Trip" Content Series to Feature Highlights of the American Landscape
- July 03, 2019; 10:48 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, is celebrating the summer travel season with a special cross-channel content series, “The Great American Road Trip.” Throughout the month of July, the content will be featured on the AccuWeather Network® and found on the popular www.AccuWeather.com website.
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.
- After Year of Explosive Video Growth, AccuWeather Partners with JW Player to Expand Further
- April 19, 2019; 1:49 PM
- Companies team up as AccuWeather seeks to build on recent record of 300% growth in video views across all devices.
- AccuWeather Partners with Local ABC Stations in Support of 2019 National #DressForSTEM Campaign
- March 14, 2019; 9:43 AM
- AccuWeather Network Programming, Meteorologists and Broadcasters to Highlight Importance of Advancement for Women in Science and Technology Careers. AccuWeather Teams Nationwide to Wear Purple to Celebrate Women in STEM
- With More Severe Weather Ahead this Week, AccuWeather Warns Mississippi Valley Residents, Businesses to Plan Now and Avoid Death, Injury, Destruction
- March 08, 2019; 3:38 PM
- When severe weather spins up quickly, a trusted weather partner provides the most accurate weather warnings, helps businesses develop an emergency action plan with the confidence to know when to enact it. Said Jonathan Porter, “It is still early in the season with many more storms anticipated, and it only takes one destructive severe weather event to wreak havoc on a family, a home, a business or a community.”