AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - December 5, 2018 - AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media company and global leader in weather-related big data, business and analytics, today announced that the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts (AIVA) has recognized AccuWeather with 2018 W3 Digital Awards -a Gold award for the AccuWeather iOS app, and two Silver awards for the AccuWeather Android app and AccuWeather's mobile website. This is the fifth time AccuWeather's apps have been recognized with W3 awards for providing a superior app experience.
The W3 Awards is sanctioned and judged by the AIVA, an invitation-only body comprising top-tier professionals from a "Who's Who" of acclaimed media, interactive, advertising, and marketing firms. The awards, which attracted more than 5,000 entries this year, honor creative excellence and recognize the creative professionals behind the winning solutions.
"All of us at AccuWeather are honored to once again receive this recognition from AIVA for the appealing, intuitive design and unique benefits of our award-winning apps available across mobile devices," said Steven Smith, President of Digital Media at AccuWeather. "Our goal is to give users the features and utility they want, while delivering forecasts and warnings with the Superior Accuracy™ they trust. These awards provide the latest evidence that AccuWeather is building on our foundation of creativity and innovation to offer the best weather app experience available so our users make the best decisions where weather is concerned."
"The creativity and quality of this season's entries surpassed even our grandest expectations. As the digital landscape continues to expand and break new ground, our winners are a testament to the creative capability that makes the Internet a true work of art," said Derek Howard, the director of AIVA.
The AccuWeather apps for iOS and Android provide the most accurate, actionable weather forecasts and warnings in an innovative, advanced mobile experience personalized to each user worldwide. Exclusive industry-leading features include the patented AccuWeather MinuteCast®, the leading minute-by-minute precipitation forecast hyper-localized to a user's exact street address or GPS location. The app also includes AccUcast™, the only crowdsourced weather feature that provides current weather conditions and hazards submitted by users in a real-time global animation map display, plus AccuWeather Real Feel®, Future Radar, and much more.
The announcement of AccuWeather's W3 Awards comes shortly after independent research overwhelmingly demonstrated the Superior Accuracy™ of AccuWeather's forecasts. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was reconfirmed as the most accurate source of forecasts and warnings over the next five favorite weather sources in the categories of windspeed, precipitation and high temperatures worldwide. Independent industry tracker ForecastWatch gathered forecast data including 95 million forecasts from 1,140 locations over a three-year period ending in December 31, 2017, and AccuWeather demonstrated the consistency and reliability of its forecasts, proving its wind speed accuracy to be 33% accurate, its precipitation forecasts to be 21% more accurate, and its high temperature forecasts to be 10% more than the next ranked provider's, respectively.
More importantly, AccuWeather forecasts have superior value that goes well beyond forecast accuracy comparisons: AccuWeather forecasts are more detailed, extend further into the future, and are more localized than forecasts from other sources. For example, the independent verification by ForecastWatch was based on comparing all New York City forecasts, but AccuWeather provides further detail for 279 neighborhoods within New York City and most other sources do not-which means AccuWeather delivers Superior Accuracy not even captured in study after study of statistical forecast accuracy comparisons.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers-considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs-AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
# # #
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Eric Danetz, AccuWeather's Global Chief Revenue Officer, Named to IAB Data Center of Excellence Board
- February 08, 2019; 8:52 AM
- Danetz brings extensive experience to the IAB Data Center of Excellence, a trade group that enhances data resources for the digital media, marketing and advertising industries. His membership deepens AccuWeather’s proactive engagement in developing and promoting practices and standards that protect consumers while supporting business innovation and growth.
- World's Most Trusted Weather Brand AccuWeather Receives Tabby Award for Top Weather App
- February 07, 2019; 9:29 AM
- Receiving a Tabby Award places the AccuWeather app among the “best of the best of best” in a massive market of more than 4.7 million apps.
- AccuWeather Promotes John Dokes to Chief Content Officer & President of AccuWeather Network, Announces Strategic Reorganization
- February 06, 2019; 9:15 AM
- Media Content Group and new role of Chief Content Officer established to ensure quality, consistency and reliability of content across expanding news, video properties and growing AccuWeather Network.
- AccuWeather Issues Statement of Apology to National Weather Service Employees
- January 17, 2019; 11:42 PM
- An article was published today on AccuWeather.com to reassure consumers and businesses that, despite some media reports, there has been no degradation to the accuracy of our weather forecasts due to the government shutdown. Additionally, the article indicated that National Weather Service forecasters, despite not being paid, continued to issue life-saving weather warnings to protect people and property across the country, and the necessary data continues to flow through government sources. This intent was not well communicated through the article.
- AccuWeather's New RealImpact(TM) Scale for Hurricanes will Revolutionize Damage Predictions for Greater Public Safety
- January 09, 2019; 7:30 PM
- New scale for hurricanes and tropical storms will provide a more comprehensive description of their impact beyond the simple wind speeds scale that has been used to classify the severity of storms for decades.
- Barry Lee Myers Steps Down from AccuWeather
- January 04, 2019; 9:11 AM
- Chief Executive Officer Barry Lee Myers has stepped down as officer and director of AccuWeather and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, effective January 1, 2019. Myers was nominated in late 2017 by President Trump to become Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In accordance with the ethics pledge from Myers to the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and in his testimony and comments made to the U.S. Senate, he has fulfilled his commitment to fully divest himself from AccuWeather and from any and all related interests.
- AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
- A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.