AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - December 5, 2018 - AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media company and global leader in weather-related big data, business and analytics, today announced that the Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts (AIVA) has recognized AccuWeather with 2018 W3 Digital Awards -a Gold award for the AccuWeather iOS app, and two Silver awards for the AccuWeather Android app and AccuWeather's mobile website. This is the fifth time AccuWeather's apps have been recognized with W3 awards for providing a superior app experience.
The W3 Awards is sanctioned and judged by the AIVA, an invitation-only body comprising top-tier professionals from a "Who's Who" of acclaimed media, interactive, advertising, and marketing firms. The awards, which attracted more than 5,000 entries this year, honor creative excellence and recognize the creative professionals behind the winning solutions.
"All of us at AccuWeather are honored to once again receive this recognition from AIVA for the appealing, intuitive design and unique benefits of our award-winning apps available across mobile devices," said Steven Smith, President of Digital Media at AccuWeather. "Our goal is to give users the features and utility they want, while delivering forecasts and warnings with the Superior Accuracy™ they trust. These awards provide the latest evidence that AccuWeather is building on our foundation of creativity and innovation to offer the best weather app experience available so our users make the best decisions where weather is concerned."
"The creativity and quality of this season's entries surpassed even our grandest expectations. As the digital landscape continues to expand and break new ground, our winners are a testament to the creative capability that makes the Internet a true work of art," said Derek Howard, the director of AIVA.
The AccuWeather apps for iOS and Android provide the most accurate, actionable weather forecasts and warnings in an innovative, advanced mobile experience personalized to each user worldwide. Exclusive industry-leading features include the patented AccuWeather MinuteCast®, the leading minute-by-minute precipitation forecast hyper-localized to a user's exact street address or GPS location. The app also includes AccUcast™, the only crowdsourced weather feature that provides current weather conditions and hazards submitted by users in a real-time global animation map display, plus AccuWeather Real Feel®, Future Radar, and much more.
The announcement of AccuWeather's W3 Awards comes shortly after independent research overwhelmingly demonstrated the Superior Accuracy™ of AccuWeather's forecasts. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was reconfirmed as the most accurate source of forecasts and warnings over the next five favorite weather sources in the categories of windspeed, precipitation and high temperatures worldwide. Independent industry tracker ForecastWatch gathered forecast data including 95 million forecasts from 1,140 locations over a three-year period ending in December 31, 2017, and AccuWeather demonstrated the consistency and reliability of its forecasts, proving its wind speed accuracy to be 33% accurate, its precipitation forecasts to be 21% more accurate, and its high temperature forecasts to be 10% more than the next ranked provider's, respectively.
More importantly, AccuWeather forecasts have superior value that goes well beyond forecast accuracy comparisons: AccuWeather forecasts are more detailed, extend further into the future, and are more localized than forecasts from other sources. For example, the independent verification by ForecastWatch was based on comparing all New York City forecasts, but AccuWeather provides further detail for 279 neighborhoods within New York City and most other sources do not-which means AccuWeather delivers Superior Accuracy not even captured in study after study of statistical forecast accuracy comparisons.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers-considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs-AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
# # #
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Continues Rapid Expansion with Relocation of Global Office in New York City
- July 08, 2019; 8:48 AM
- State-of-the-art facility at 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan reflects AccuWeather’s continued growth in a variety of key functions, including product development and design, marketing, sales and advertising.
- AccuWeather Network® "Great American Road Trip" Content Series to Feature Highlights of the American Landscape
- July 03, 2019; 10:48 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, is celebrating the summer travel season with a special cross-channel content series, “The Great American Road Trip.” Throughout the month of July, the content will be featured on the AccuWeather Network® and found on the popular www.AccuWeather.com website.
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.
- After Year of Explosive Video Growth, AccuWeather Partners with JW Player to Expand Further
- April 19, 2019; 1:49 PM
- Companies team up as AccuWeather seeks to build on recent record of 300% growth in video views across all devices.
- AccuWeather Partners with Local ABC Stations in Support of 2019 National #DressForSTEM Campaign
- March 14, 2019; 9:43 AM
- AccuWeather Network Programming, Meteorologists and Broadcasters to Highlight Importance of Advancement for Women in Science and Technology Careers. AccuWeather Teams Nationwide to Wear Purple to Celebrate Women in STEM
- With More Severe Weather Ahead this Week, AccuWeather Warns Mississippi Valley Residents, Businesses to Plan Now and Avoid Death, Injury, Destruction
- March 08, 2019; 3:38 PM
- When severe weather spins up quickly, a trusted weather partner provides the most accurate weather warnings, helps businesses develop an emergency action plan with the confidence to know when to enact it. Said Jonathan Porter, “It is still early in the season with many more storms anticipated, and it only takes one destructive severe weather event to wreak havoc on a family, a home, a business or a community.”