AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - December 14, 2018 - Steven A. Root, Senior Vice President, Strategic Initiatives for AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions (AES), will be recognized by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) at the group's 99th annual meeting, January 6 to 10, 2019, in Phoenix, Arizona.
AccuWeather is the world's largest and fastest growing weather media company and a global leader in weather-related big data, business and analytics. Serving 245 of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions-the commercial weather services division of AccuWeather-provides business, government, media, and institutions worldwide weather insights and the edge to save lives, protect property, and improve profitability through more informed, timely, and superior decision-making when weather is a factor.
Root, who has been with AccuWeather since January 2015, will receive the Henry T. Harrison Award for outstanding contributions by a consulting meteorologist, for providing innovative meteorological solutions to clients, and leadership in creating understanding across America's weather enterprise. As a highly skilled meteorologist, Root is a well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management. Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
"Steve Root's efforts to integrate and offer variance-capturing weather and environmental data into client prediction systems is unique and unparalleled, rendering greater clarity and having a profound impact not just on the field of meteorology, but also on how businesses in every industry can benefit from weather intelligence," said Jonathan Porter, Vice President and General Manager of AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions. "By combining industry-leading weather metrics with a keen understanding of business impacts, Steve's career has taken custom forecasting solutions to new levels, where we're translating weather data into actionable business insights. I can think of no one more deserving of this award."
"I am deeply humbled by this recognition from the American Meteorological Society," said Root. "My passion is in using industry-leading data to help businesses manage how weather patterns and events lift or compress sales, and to be professionally recognized by the AMS is a true honor."
Prior to joining AccuWeather, Root was previously President and CEO of WeatherBank, Inc., an integrated meteorology services company based in Edmond, Oklahoma, serving custom data solutions to many North American power and gas utilities, and a considerable number of well-known consumer retailers in the apparel, auto parts and hardware industries. Root is the co-inventor of more than 40 U.S. and international patents. He joined AccuWeather upon the company's acquisition of WeatherBank.
Root is an AMS Member, a Fellow of the AMS, an AMS Certified Consulting Meteorologist, and a holder of the AMS Broadcast Seal of Approval. In 2010, the AMS recognized Root with its Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Advance of Applied Meteorology.
He is President of the American Weather and Climate Industry Association, a national consortium of America's weather companies, and past president of the National Council of Industrial Meteorologists, a nonprofit, professional association of meteorologists who are principally engaged in the private practice of industrial and applied meteorological consulting.
He graduated from the University of Utah with B.S. and M.S. degrees in meteorology.
AccuWeather-which has more AMS Fellows and award winners than any other company-is a Premier Sponsor of the 2019 AMS Annual Meeting, demonstrating its leadership in and support for the worldwide weather, water, and climate community. AccuWeather leaders and staff members are participating throughout the program and events. Many AccuWeather team members are also involved in AMS technical committees, where they provide leadership to the weather community and contribute their vast knowledge across areas to advance the science of meteorology. Last year, a meteorology team from AccuWeather was bestowed AMS' Exceptional Prediction Award for the accuracy of its forecasts, the first time in the organization's history this recognition was given to a commercial weather company.
Independent research has overwhelmingly demonstrated the Superior Accuracy™ of AccuWeather's forecasts. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was reconfirmed as the most accurate source of forecasts and warnings over the next five favorite weather sources in the categories of windspeed, precipitation and high temperatures worldwide. Independent industry tracker ForecastWatch gathered forecast data including 95 million forecasts from 1,140 locations over a three-year period ending in December 31, 2017, and AccuWeather demonstrated the consistency and reliability of its forecasts, proving its wind speed accuracy to be 33% more accurate, its precipitation forecasts to be 21% more accurate, and its high temperature forecasts to be 10% more than the next ranked provider's, respectively.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers -- considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs -- AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Download the AccuWeather app today and follow AccuWeather on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date forecasts and warnings, news and information surrounding breaking and spring weather.
# # #
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather's New RealImpact(TM) Scale for Hurricanes will Revolutionize Damage Predictions for Greater Public Safety
- January 09, 2019; 7:30 PM
- New scale for hurricanes and tropical storms will provide a more comprehensive description of their impact beyond the simple wind speeds scale that has been used to classify the severity of storms for decades.
- Barry Lee Myers Steps Down from AccuWeather
- January 04, 2019; 9:11 AM
- Chief Executive Officer Barry Lee Myers has stepped down as officer and director of AccuWeather and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, effective January 1, 2019. Myers was nominated in late 2017 by President Trump to become Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In accordance with the ethics pledge from Myers to the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and in his testimony and comments made to the U.S. Senate, he has fulfilled his commitment to fully divest himself from AccuWeather and from any and all related interests.
- AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
- A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.
- Get "AccuWeather Ready" for Winter Weather with Critical Safety Information for the Season's Risks
- November 01, 2018; 3:42 PM
- AccuWeather's exclusive cross-platform program provides critical weather information, news, videos, alerts, tools, and more to help users stay informed, prepared and safe in winter conditions.
- AccuWeather Partners with FinTech Sandbox to Foster Innovation in Financial Technology and Services
- October 30, 2018; 8:25 AM
- AccuWeather, the largest and fastest-growing weather media and business company in the world, today announced a partnership with FinTech Sandbox, a nonprofit organization that promotes innovation in the financial sector. The collaboration will enable entrepreneurial financial technology firms to access AccuWeather’s superior real-time and historical weather data for a wide range of exciting, transformative and unique ventures.
- AccuWeather Teams with Ströer to Bring Unmatched Advertising Opportunities to Germany
- October 24, 2018; 7:00 AM
- AccuWeather and Germany’s digital sales house partner in order to deliver more effective, targeted messages to users for advertisers in Germany.
- AccuWeather Founder and President Dr. Joel Myers Denounces "Inaccurate Information" About Hurricane Florence
- September 19, 2018; 3:15 PM
- "Seeing others comment that Florence will rank among the costliest U.S. hurricanes of all time is flat-out wrong. While it was, in fact, a catastrophic storm for parts of the Carolinas as we predicted it would be, it is important to put Florence's cost and impact into historical context," said Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, President, and Chairman of AccuWeather. "As an expert on severe weather and its economic, financial and human costs, and adjusting for inflation, I would not put Florence in a list of the top 10 nor even the top 25 costliest hurricanes to ever hit the U.S."