AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - December 14, 2018 - Steven A. Root, Senior Vice President, Strategic Initiatives for AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions (AES), will be recognized by the American Meteorological Society (AMS) at the group's 99th annual meeting, January 6 to 10, 2019, in Phoenix, Arizona.
AccuWeather is the world's largest and fastest growing weather media company and a global leader in weather-related big data, business and analytics. Serving 245 of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally, AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions-the commercial weather services division of AccuWeather-provides business, government, media, and institutions worldwide weather insights and the edge to save lives, protect property, and improve profitability through more informed, timely, and superior decision-making when weather is a factor.
Root, who has been with AccuWeather since January 2015, will receive the Henry T. Harrison Award for outstanding contributions by a consulting meteorologist, for providing innovative meteorological solutions to clients, and leadership in creating understanding across America's weather enterprise. As a highly skilled meteorologist, Root is a well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management. Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
"Steve Root's efforts to integrate and offer variance-capturing weather and environmental data into client prediction systems is unique and unparalleled, rendering greater clarity and having a profound impact not just on the field of meteorology, but also on how businesses in every industry can benefit from weather intelligence," said Jonathan Porter, Vice President and General Manager of AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions. "By combining industry-leading weather metrics with a keen understanding of business impacts, Steve's career has taken custom forecasting solutions to new levels, where we're translating weather data into actionable business insights. I can think of no one more deserving of this award."
"I am deeply humbled by this recognition from the American Meteorological Society," said Root. "My passion is in using industry-leading data to help businesses manage how weather patterns and events lift or compress sales, and to be professionally recognized by the AMS is a true honor."
Prior to joining AccuWeather, Root was previously President and CEO of WeatherBank, Inc., an integrated meteorology services company based in Edmond, Oklahoma, serving custom data solutions to many North American power and gas utilities, and a considerable number of well-known consumer retailers in the apparel, auto parts and hardware industries. Root is the co-inventor of more than 40 U.S. and international patents. He joined AccuWeather upon the company's acquisition of WeatherBank.
Root is an AMS Member, a Fellow of the AMS, an AMS Certified Consulting Meteorologist, and a holder of the AMS Broadcast Seal of Approval. In 2010, the AMS recognized Root with its Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Advance of Applied Meteorology.
He is President of the American Weather and Climate Industry Association, a national consortium of America's weather companies, and past president of the National Council of Industrial Meteorologists, a nonprofit, professional association of meteorologists who are principally engaged in the private practice of industrial and applied meteorological consulting.
He graduated from the University of Utah with B.S. and M.S. degrees in meteorology.
AccuWeather-which has more AMS Fellows and award winners than any other company-is a Premier Sponsor of the 2019 AMS Annual Meeting, demonstrating its leadership in and support for the worldwide weather, water, and climate community. AccuWeather leaders and staff members are participating throughout the program and events. Many AccuWeather team members are also involved in AMS technical committees, where they provide leadership to the weather community and contribute their vast knowledge across areas to advance the science of meteorology. Last year, a meteorology team from AccuWeather was bestowed AMS' Exceptional Prediction Award for the accuracy of its forecasts, the first time in the organization's history this recognition was given to a commercial weather company.
Independent research has overwhelmingly demonstrated the Superior Accuracy™ of AccuWeather's forecasts. In the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken, AccuWeather was reconfirmed as the most accurate source of forecasts and warnings over the next five favorite weather sources in the categories of windspeed, precipitation and high temperatures worldwide. Independent industry tracker ForecastWatch gathered forecast data including 95 million forecasts from 1,140 locations over a three-year period ending in December 31, 2017, and AccuWeather demonstrated the consistency and reliability of its forecasts, proving its wind speed accuracy to be 33% more accurate, its precipitation forecasts to be 21% more accurate, and its high temperature forecasts to be 10% more than the next ranked provider's, respectively.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
More than 1.5 billion people worldwide rely on AccuWeather to help them plan their lives, protect their businesses, and get more from their day. AccuWeather provides hourly and Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™ with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smartphones, tablets, free wired and mobile Internet sites, connected TVs, and Internet appliances, as well as via radio, television, and newspapers. Established in 1962 by Founder, President and Chairman Dr. Joel N. Myers -- considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology," the nation's most respected source on the business of meteorology having been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times, and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history in Entrepreneur Magazine's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs -- AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
Download the AccuWeather app today and follow AccuWeather on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date forecasts and warnings, news and information surrounding breaking and spring weather.
# # #
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.
- After Year of Explosive Video Growth, AccuWeather Partners with JW Player to Expand Further
- April 19, 2019; 1:49 PM
- Companies team up as AccuWeather seeks to build on recent record of 300% growth in video views across all devices.
- AccuWeather Partners with Local ABC Stations in Support of 2019 National #DressForSTEM Campaign
- March 14, 2019; 9:43 AM
- AccuWeather Network Programming, Meteorologists and Broadcasters to Highlight Importance of Advancement for Women in Science and Technology Careers. AccuWeather Teams Nationwide to Wear Purple to Celebrate Women in STEM
- With More Severe Weather Ahead this Week, AccuWeather Warns Mississippi Valley Residents, Businesses to Plan Now and Avoid Death, Injury, Destruction
- March 08, 2019; 3:38 PM
- When severe weather spins up quickly, a trusted weather partner provides the most accurate weather warnings, helps businesses develop an emergency action plan with the confidence to know when to enact it. Said Jonathan Porter, “It is still early in the season with many more storms anticipated, and it only takes one destructive severe weather event to wreak havoc on a family, a home, a business or a community.”
- AccuWeather Correctly Predicts 2018 Holiday Sales Would See Lower Bump than National Retail Federation Estimates
- February 25, 2019; 3:19 AM
- AccuWeather’s D3 Data Driven Decisions predictive analytics model includes the influence of weather in addition to purely economic indicators and proved most accurate in predicting holiday sales outcomes for the second consecutive year.
- Eric Danetz, AccuWeather's Global Chief Revenue Officer, Named to IAB Data Center of Excellence Board
- February 08, 2019; 8:52 AM
- Danetz brings extensive experience to the IAB Data Center of Excellence, a trade group that enhances data resources for the digital media, marketing and advertising industries. His membership deepens AccuWeather’s proactive engagement in developing and promoting practices and standards that protect consumers while supporting business innovation and growth.