AccuWeather Issues Statement of Apology to National Weather Service Employees
- January 17, 2019; 11:42 PM
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - January 17, 2019 - An article was published today on AccuWeather.com to reassure consumers and businesses that, despite some media reports, there has been no degradation to the accuracy of our weather forecasts due to the government shutdown. Additionally, the article indicated that National Weather Service forecasters, despite not being paid, continued to issue life-saving weather warnings to protect people and property across the country, and the necessary data continues to flow through government sources. This intent was not well communicated through the article.
We understand that the article has upset some of our trusted colleagues in the meteorological community, especially those in the government who are already in a challenging position because they are working without pay. We sincerely apologize to them. It was not our intent to imply any disrespect for our meteorological colleagues in any way.
We greatly support, value and appreciate the service and partnership of the dedicated and hardworking staff of the National Weather Service. AccuWeather remains a proud partner with the NWS, other government agencies, and the academic research community.
The original version of the story is being updated to clarify any concerns that have been raised, and we appreciate the candid feedback.
Dr. Joel N. Myers
Founder and Chief Executive Officer
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- AccuWeather Continues Rapid Expansion with Relocation of Global Office in New York City
- July 08, 2019; 8:48 AM
- State-of-the-art facility at 7 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan reflects AccuWeather’s continued growth in a variety of key functions, including product development and design, marketing, sales and advertising.
- AccuWeather Network® "Great American Road Trip" Content Series to Feature Highlights of the American Landscape
- July 03, 2019; 10:48 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, is celebrating the summer travel season with a special cross-channel content series, “The Great American Road Trip.” Throughout the month of July, the content will be featured on the AccuWeather Network® and found on the popular www.AccuWeather.com website.
- Steven R. Smith Named President of AccuWeather
- June 14, 2019; 8:57 AM
- Smith assumes leadership of enterprise-wide product, technology, R&D, corporate development and strategy, digital media division, content and the AccuWeather® Network.
- New AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature Guide Will Enhance Outdoor Safety, Health and Comfort
- June 07, 2019; 1:59 PM
- Dr. Joel N. Myers: “Other weather variables in addition to temperature, such as sunlight, humidity, wind, precipitation and a multitude of other factors, can impact our comfort or discomfort outside and may even cause harm or illness. The AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature Guide is the only tool that works in all weather conditions and translates into actionable behavior choices.”
- Pocono Raceway Stays on Track with Unique Real-time Weather Insights from AccuWeather
- June 07, 2019; 1:44 PM
- Thanks to AccuWeather’s continuously updated race-day forecast, there was no rain delay for NASCAR’s “Pocono 400”—and walk-up ticket sales in the wake of an updated weather forecast boosted this year’s attendance.
- AccuWeather Earns TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal for Protecting Businesses, Consumers from Digital Advertising Fraud
- June 03, 2019; 9:54 AM
- AccuWeather, the world’s largest and fastest-growing weather and digital media company, today announced the Trustworthy Accountability Group (TAG) has awarded the company the coveted TAG Certified Against Fraud Seal.
- AccuWeather Marks 75th Anniversary of D-Day with Content Series on Weather's Influence on Allied Invasion
- May 30, 2019; 8:06 AM
- Little-known story of how an accurate weather forecast contributed to the Allied victory in World War II to be illuminated by AccuWeather throughout June's 75th anniversary of the invasion of Normandy.
- After Year of Explosive Video Growth, AccuWeather Partners with JW Player to Expand Further
- April 19, 2019; 1:49 PM
- Companies team up as AccuWeather seeks to build on recent record of 300% growth in video views across all devices.
- AccuWeather Partners with Local ABC Stations in Support of 2019 National #DressForSTEM Campaign
- March 14, 2019; 9:43 AM
- AccuWeather Network Programming, Meteorologists and Broadcasters to Highlight Importance of Advancement for Women in Science and Technology Careers. AccuWeather Teams Nationwide to Wear Purple to Celebrate Women in STEM
- With More Severe Weather Ahead this Week, AccuWeather Warns Mississippi Valley Residents, Businesses to Plan Now and Avoid Death, Injury, Destruction
- March 08, 2019; 3:38 PM
- When severe weather spins up quickly, a trusted weather partner provides the most accurate weather warnings, helps businesses develop an emergency action plan with the confidence to know when to enact it. Said Jonathan Porter, “It is still early in the season with many more storms anticipated, and it only takes one destructive severe weather event to wreak havoc on a family, a home, a business or a community.”