World's Most Trusted Weather Brand AccuWeather Receives Tabby Award for Top Weather App
- February 07, 2019; 9:29 AM
Receiving a Tabby Award places the AccuWeather app among the "best of the best of best" in a massive market of more than 4.7 million apps.
AccuWeather Global Weather Center - February 7, 2019 - AccuWeather, the world's largest and fastest-growing weather media company as well as the leader in weather-related data, business and predictive analytics, won the 2018 Tabby Award for Best Weather App for its popular iOS app. The Tabby Award is the most comprehensive awards program honoring the best apps for tablets and iPads.
"All of us at AccuWeather are honored to receive the 2018 Tabby Award for our iPhone app," said Steven Smith, President of Digital Media for AccuWeather. "Our goal is to give users the features and utility they want, while delivering weather forecasts and warnings with the proven Superior Accuracy™ they trust. This recognition further demonstrates that AccuWeather is building on our foundation of creativity and innovation to offer the best weather app experience available, enabling our users to make the best decisions when weather is concerned."
With all iOS and Android apps and games eligible and under consideration, winners were selected based on a combination of quantitative metrics and qualitative factors. The analytical evaluation component focused on app store user review scores submitted over the course of 2018 to measure user engagement. The qualitative component-benefiting from the Tabby Awards expertise in judging app and game awards since 2012-focused on user interface, design, and innovation.
In addition to AccuWeather, winning apps included such recogzined brands as Spotify, TikTok, Headspace, Waze, Rosetta Stone, Eventbrite, Twitch, and Airbnb. "With nearly 4.7 million consumer (non-gaming) apps available today on Android and iOS combined, our mobile app award winners are positioned in the top 0.001% of a massive market - these are the best of the best of the best," commented Paola Schaw, Executive Producer of the Tabby Awards.
AccuWeather apps for iOS and Android are available at no cost and provide the most accurate, actionable weather forecasts and warnings in an innovative, advanced mobile experience personalized to each user worldwide. Exclusive industry-leading features include the patented AccuWeather MinuteCast®, the leading minute-by-minute precipitation forecast for the next two hours hyper-localized to a user's exact street address or GPS location with precise start and stop times. The app also includes AccUcast™, the only crowdsourced weather feature that provides current weather conditions and hazards submitted by users in a real-time global animation map display, plus AccuWeather RealFeel®, Future Radar, and much more.
In addition to world-class features, AccuWeather was reconfirmed as the most accurate source of forecasts and warnings over the next five favorite weather sources in the categories of windspeed, precipitation and high temperatures worldwide in the most comprehensive study of forecast accuracy ever undertaken.
Independent industry tracker ForecastWatch gathered forecast data including 95 million forecasts from 1,140 locations over a three-year period, and AccuWeather demonstrated the consistency and reliability of its forecasts, proving its wind speed accuracy to be 33% more accurate, its precipitation forecasts to be 21% more accurate, and its high temperature forecasts to be 10% more than the next ranked provider's, respectively.
More importantly, AccuWeather forecasts have superior value that goes well beyond forecast accuracy comparisons: AccuWeather forecasts are more detailed, extend further into the future, and are more localized than forecasts from other sources. For example, the independent verification by ForecastWatch was based on comparing all New York City forecasts, but AccuWeather provides further detail for 279 neighborhoods within New York City and most other sources do not-which means AccuWeather delivers Superior Accuracy not even captured in study after study of statistical forecast accuracy comparisons.
The award-winning AccuWeather app is available free in the iOS App Store and the Google Play Store.
About AccuWeather, Inc. and AccuWeather.com
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through radio, television, newspapers, smart phones, tablets, connected TVs, the AccuWeather Network and AccuWeather.com. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather's many innovative and award-winning features available free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Furthermore, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally. Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the "father of modern commercial meteorology." Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named "the most accurate man in weather" by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur's Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
AccuWeather™, AccuWeather MinuteCast®, Minute by Minute™ RealFeel®, AccuCast™ and Superior Accuracy™ are all trademarks of AccuWeather, Inc.
The AccuWeather app for Android phone and tablet users is free at the Google Play store. The AccuWeather iOS app is free at www.AppStore.com. Visit accuweather.com for additional information.
AccuWeather.com Press Room
- Eric Danetz, AccuWeather's Global Chief Revenue Officer, Named to IAB Data Center of Excellence Board
- February 08, 2019; 8:52 AM
- Danetz brings extensive experience to the IAB Data Center of Excellence, a trade group that enhances data resources for the digital media, marketing and advertising industries. His membership deepens AccuWeather’s proactive engagement in developing and promoting practices and standards that protect consumers while supporting business innovation and growth.
- World's Most Trusted Weather Brand AccuWeather Receives Tabby Award for Top Weather App
- February 07, 2019; 9:29 AM
- Receiving a Tabby Award places the AccuWeather app among the “best of the best of best” in a massive market of more than 4.7 million apps.
- AccuWeather Promotes John Dokes to Chief Content Officer & President of AccuWeather Network, Announces Strategic Reorganization
- February 06, 2019; 9:15 AM
- Media Content Group and new role of Chief Content Officer established to ensure quality, consistency and reliability of content across expanding news, video properties and growing AccuWeather Network.
- AccuWeather Issues Statement of Apology to National Weather Service Employees
- January 17, 2019; 11:42 PM
- An article was published today on AccuWeather.com to reassure consumers and businesses that, despite some media reports, there has been no degradation to the accuracy of our weather forecasts due to the government shutdown. Additionally, the article indicated that National Weather Service forecasters, despite not being paid, continued to issue life-saving weather warnings to protect people and property across the country, and the necessary data continues to flow through government sources. This intent was not well communicated through the article.
- AccuWeather's New RealImpact(TM) Scale for Hurricanes will Revolutionize Damage Predictions for Greater Public Safety
- January 09, 2019; 7:30 PM
- New scale for hurricanes and tropical storms will provide a more comprehensive description of their impact beyond the simple wind speeds scale that has been used to classify the severity of storms for decades.
- Barry Lee Myers Steps Down from AccuWeather
- January 04, 2019; 9:11 AM
- Chief Executive Officer Barry Lee Myers has stepped down as officer and director of AccuWeather and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies, effective January 1, 2019. Myers was nominated in late 2017 by President Trump to become Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In accordance with the ethics pledge from Myers to the U.S. Office of Government Ethics and in his testimony and comments made to the U.S. Senate, he has fulfilled his commitment to fully divest himself from AccuWeather and from any and all related interests.
- AccuWeather's Steve Root Receives American Meteorological Society Henry T. Harrison Award for Outstanding Contributions by a Consulting Meteorologist
- December 14, 2018; 6:28 AM
- A well-known expert in building historical and predicted weather data sets to better quantify energy demand, consumer buying behavior, and supply chain management, Root has pioneered unique meteorological applications serving consumers, businesses and governments for more than 30 years.
- AccuWeather Wins W3 Gold and Silver Digital Awards, Recognized for Mobile App Excellence
- December 05, 2018; 10:34 AM
- For the fifth time, digital awards go to AccuWeather for providing a superior weather app experience to users worldwide.
- AccuWeather Announces Special Year-End Bonus to Team Members in Celebration of 2018 Growth
- December 03, 2018; 7:21 AM
- Bonus for full- and part-time team members acknowledges Company’s double-digit growth, dedication to saving lives, protecting people and property.
- AccuWeather Appoints Edward Arditte as Chief Financial Officer
- November 21, 2018; 4:40 AM
- Longtime AccuWeather Board Member brings more than 30 years’ experience in finance and operations.